February 12, 2017
GPUS Steering Committee Minutes
Sunday, February 12, 2017 – 8:00 p.m. ET
I. CALL SETUP & BACKGROUND
a) Facilitator: Sid Smith
b) To listen to call: 712-451-0019, access code 926334, ref #20 (159 min.)
c) Present: Chris Blankenhorn, Darlene Elias, Sanda Everette, Jan Martell, Andrea Merida, Darryl! Moch (joined late), Tamar Yager, Bahram Zandi. Observing: Starlene Rankin, David Gerry, Mason Blisss, Charles Ostdiek, Hillary Kane (joined late).
d) Agenda revisions: none
II. NEW BUSINESS
a) Treasurer vacancy election – Jan reported that a registered letter had been sent to Brian pointing out that, according to our rules, he was considered resigned from his position as Treasurer, and that he had received the letter on Feb. 7. Due to the 6-week process for a vacancy election, members agreed to expedite the schedule and post the election immediately. Jan will be Floor Manager.
b) Diversity in Facebook group admins – Andrea reported on problems with the GPUS Facebook groups, particularly the main page and Issues & Ideas, which is linked, but separate. There are not enough admins/moderators for the traffic, and not enough diversity, which has led to unacceptable behavior being allowed to persist. Members agreed to direct the Media Committee to do outreach for more admins, and to take up the discussion of standards and structure on the retreat.
III. STANDING BUSINESS
a) Treasurer’s Report – Darryl!. There’s about $192K in the bank, all bills paid except some not yet recorded. He is keeping a detailed spreadsheet of disbursements now, but does not have access to January records. He is working on getting Cynthia a card, and setting up an account at Office Depot, to simplify everyday office expenses. Tamar urgently requested the list of checks written in January for finishing FEC report due Feb. 20. Jeff has this but has not responded. Darryl! And Tamar agreed to continue discussion offline.
b) Fundraising Report – Tamar. Recent e-blast which Andrea helped write brought in $1800, excellent return for a $5 ask. Tamar is working on the next direct mail piece. Mike Dennis has been helpful with database work preparing files of Stein campaign donors for Nationbuilder.
c) Personnel WG Report – Tamar/Andrea. Political Organizer position offer is in the works, Field Organizer position still posted. Tamar is researching employee benefits, and says she will retire from the PWG after this hire. That leaves Jeff, Maya and Andrea – should add new member? Andrea wanted some clarification on the latitude and responsibility of the subcommittee. Darlene thought the job descriptions were overlapping and unclear. Conversation can continue online and at the retreat.
In the queue:
856 – 2017 Budget
862 – Establishment of Electoral Reform committee
Received for the queue:
a) Change in Apportionment Rules for Caucuses – No findings. Jan will be Floor Manager.
b) DAPL Divestment Campaign – There were findings that the proposal was unclear and proposed actions that GPUS did not have the capacity to undertake. Discussion was positive about the divestment issue and members said they would support a campaign, if GPNJ would initiate it, with publicity and outreach.
c) Approval of Susan Chunco for Finance Committee – Approved for the queue pending receipt of her re-election by GPCA. Sanda will send this. She will be Floor Manager.
IV. OLD BUSINESS
a) Retreat agenda – Hillary said she had been contacted by Jill and Ajamu, who would be close by and wanted to take part in the retreat in some way. After much discussion, it was agreed to invite them for Sunday lunch, preceded by a half hour for them to address how to migrate the energy of the campaign into the work of the party.
b) Approval of Em Ward for CCC – Jan reported that Em had sent a copy of the minutes of the meeting last summer when GPNM nominated her for CCC. Any concerns about her eligibility were withdrawn, and she is appointed.
V. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Entered: 10:47 pm. Present: Chris, Darlene, Jan, Andrea, Darryl!, Tamar, Bahram. Advising: Charles Ostdiek (legal liaison)
We have won one of our lawsuits over exclusion from the presidential debates. GPUS should make an official statement about this victory and run it by the legal team for approval before publishing. Charles agreed to draft a statement and work with Jan on the wording, as Scott is on vacation.
Exited: 11:03 pm.
- Accreditation Committee
- Animal Rights Committee
- Annual National Meeting Committee
- Apportionment Tabulation Committee
- Ballot Access Committee
- Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
- Coordinated Campaign Committee
- Credentials Committee
- Dispute Resolution Committee
- Diversity Committee
- Eco Action Committee
- Finance Committee
- Fundraising Committee
- Green Pages Editorial Board
- International Committee
- Media Committee
- Merchandise Committee
- Outreach Committee
- Peace Action Committee
- Platform Committee
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee
- Candidate Questionnaires for the 2016 GPUS Presidential Nomination
- Candidates seeking the 2016 Green Party presidential nomination
- How to Seek the Green Party’s presidential nomination (2016)
- Outreach and Exploratory Candidate questionnaire for the 2016 GPUS presidential nomination – Presidential Campaign Support Committee
- Presidential Campaign Calendar 2015-2016
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Members
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Mission Statement
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Reference Documents
- Presidential Support Campaign Committee – Rules, Policies and Procedures
- Recognized Candidates Seeking the GPUS 2016 Presidential Nomination
- What the GPUS has to offer to a prospective Green presidential candidate (2016)
- Steering Committee
- Steering Committee – Committee Assignments (2016 – 2017)
- Steering Committee – Minutes
- Steering Committee – Past Elections and Members
- Steering Committee – Sub-Committees
- Steering Committee – Databases and Web Access Polices
- Steering Committee – GPUS Personnel Manual
- Steering Committee – Internal Procedures
- Steering Committee – Rules, Policies & Procedures