November 6, 2016
GPUS Steering Committee Minutes
Sunday, November 6, 2016 – 8:00 p.m. ET
I. CALL SETUP & BACKGROUND
a) Facilitator: Charles Ostdiek
b) To listen: 712-451-0019, access code 926334, ref #14
c) Present: Brian Bittner, Chris Blankenhorn, Darlene Elias (joined very late), Sanda Everette, Jan Martell, Darryl Moch, Tamar Yager, Bahram Zandi. Absent: Andrea Merida (she is at Standing Rock). Observers: Starlene Rankin, Jeff Turner
d) Agenda revisions – the budget discussion was moved to the end of the agenda.
II. OLD BUSINESS
III. STANDING BUSINESS
a) Treasurer’s Report – Brian has sent out reimbursement checks, let him know of any other outstanding. He will begin filing regular cash reports soon. Dan Robinson, landlord in Tacoma Park says there is a possibility of expanding into 2 more offices there, or possibly losing our space to another business taking over all the first floor. There is a possibility of space available at the old DC location in same price range. Brian recommends waiting to see how the options sift out in Jan. or Feb. and how new hires affect our space needs – meanwhile we can have a month-to-month lease.
b) Fundraising Report – Tamar has been having tech issues w/ internet & mail. Last 2 e-blasts did only okay, paid for themselves plus some. Next e-blasts will be to sustainers to ask them to increase. Last mailing brought in $13K so far, & more not entered yet, so doing about average.
c) Personnel WG Report – Met a few days ago, but Andrea was not able to attend. Still working on job descriptions to post to Idealist. Next call on Wednesday.
In the queue: none
Received for the queue: Approval of Frank Young for GPUS Finance Committee – Jan said she had received necessary state approval and bio back in July and sent it on to Fincom, but did not bring it to the next meeting (July 24) after which with the SC changes and convention, this reappointment was forgotten. There were no findings, and members agreed by consensus to expedite the schedule. Chris will be Floor Manager with some help from Jan. Jeff noted that he needed to get reappointed also, and would start the process ASAP.
IV. NEW BUSINESS
V. EXECUTIVE SESSION
d) Budget discussion – Brian requested Jeff participate as he was leaning on Jeff’s experience in the budget process. Jeff made changes to Draft 7 on the fly as discussion proceeded and decisions were made. Efforts were directed toward finding places to trim this draft where possible to keep it within reasonable bounds. Some line items were reduced with the understanding that down the road they could be increased according to need. Most members were reluctant to reduce fundraising budget, as this affects income.
Consensus items – Requests for caucus budgets were reduced to $1K per caucus, as Fiscal Policy requires caucuses to do much of their own fundraising. SC face-to-face retreat, a critical part of strategic planning, reduced to $10K. Reducing printed materials on line 75 to $5K.
Some line items more contentious were passed by vote: decision to cut freelance writer budget by $5K, to cut outreach budget by $10K, and employee salary budget down $10K to $210K for 5.5 FTEs.
Jeff will post the new version – next we need to look at descriptions.
TOTAL TIME: 162 minutes
- Accreditation Committee
- Animal Rights Committee
- Annual National Meeting Committee
- Apportionment Tabulation Committee
- Ballot Access Committee
- Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
- Coordinated Campaign Committee
- Credentials Committee
- Dispute Resolution Committee
- Diversity Committee
- Eco Action Committee
- Finance Committee
- Fundraising Committee
- Green Pages Editorial Board
- International Committee
- Media Committee
- Merchandise Committee
- Outreach Committee
- Peace Action Committee
- Platform Committee
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee
- Candidate Questionnaires for the 2016 GPUS Presidential Nomination
- Candidates seeking the 2016 Green Party presidential nomination
- How to Seek the Green Party’s presidential nomination (2016)
- Outreach and Exploratory Candidate questionnaire for the 2016 GPUS presidential nomination – Presidential Campaign Support Committee
- Presidential Campaign Calendar 2015-2016
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Members
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Mission Statement
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Reference Documents
- Presidential Support Campaign Committee – Rules, Policies and Procedures
- Recognized Candidates Seeking the GPUS 2016 Presidential Nomination
- What the GPUS has to offer to a prospective Green presidential candidate (2016)
- Steering Committee
- Steering Committee – Committee Assignments (2016 – 2017)
- Steering Committee – Minutes
- Steering Committee – Past Elections and Members
- Steering Committee – Sub-Committees
- Steering Committee – Databases and Web Access Polices
- Steering Committee – GPUS Personnel Manual
- Steering Committee – Internal Procedures
- Steering Committee – Rules, Policies & Procedures