The Communications Committee
Nathalie Paravicini, TX, firstname.lastname@example.org, 713-880-9929
SUBJECT: (10 words or less)
To increase efficiency by clarifying who is on the USGP-COO list and posting guidelines
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE:
At this moment, the Secretary “decides” who is inserted on the internal discussion list and tends to “police” posting delegates. There are no guidelines to insert people on the list USGP-COO listserver. This has created minor controversies and places an unfair responsibility on a single person. The list is public (everyone can read the messages at GPNJemail@example.com) with high traffic. We propose to implement basic guidelines suggested below for consistency and clarity.
IMPLEMENTATION – RESOURCES:
Cameron Spitzer to assist in setting-up two additional email lists, as specified by the proposal.
REFERENCES: initial mock of voting page:
http://pk.greens.org/etc/votedemo/booth.shtml your password is blank, and the password for the vote is hedgehog.
— PROPOSAL ON LIST SERVERS AND USGP-COO ETIQUETTE
The Communications Committee (COM) proposes setting-up and using the following 3 lists: USGP-COO, USGP-action and USGP-discussion.
PURPOSE: The purpose of the USGP-COO list-serve is to facilitate communications for the purpose of decision-making and management of affairs of the USGP. SUBSCRIBERS:
- Delegates to the COO (Coordinating Committee)
- Alternates to the COO
- Steering Committee – every member of the steering committee shall be on the listserver
- Committee Liaisons – each committee shall have up to two representatives in addition to delegates
- Paid Staff – Currently, as determined by the Steering and Communications Committees
* Advisors are professionals in their field serving the Green Party in their professional capacity. For example: legal advisors (such as David Cobb), fundraising advisors (such as Marnie Glickman), internet consultants (such as Cameron Spitzer)…
* Recommended to and approved by the Steering Committee and announced to the COO. If no objections are heard, addition to the list will take place within 7-14 days. Otherwise, the decision will be taken to the COO body.
- Observers * Observers are, for example, international representatives, state party chairs, former delegates…
* Vetted by the state of origin of the observer, or recommended and approved by the Steering Committee, and announced to the COO. If no objections are heard, addition to the list will take place within 7-14 days. Otherwise, the decision will be taken to the COO body.
POSTING (TO THE USGP-COO): Delegates are the primary persons to post to the COO List.
- Posting limited to delegates, alternates, steering committee members, co-chairs or liaisons of committees, GP staff members and advisors. Posting by non-delegate members of the list should be in relation to their area of focus (committee, project, profession).
- Observers should only post through their delegates.
- We request that only messages relating to proposals, USGP business and committee reports circulate on the list. Example of messages that should not circulate on the list:
1) personal notes or reservations or
2) articles and petitions on various issues (to be posted on the discussion list)
DISCIPLINE (ON USGP-COO):
- For persons who post “inappropriate” messages, the COM will assist in educating the poster. If learning is difficult, the COM can move to establish “educational” moderation, until the delegate completely understands what the different lists are about
- Non-Delegate members considered to have abused their limited posting privileges will have their membership changed to Read-Only status (following due process through Communications, Steering and Coordinating Committees.)
* PURPOSE: discuss issues related to coordinated national actions and current issues
* SUBSCRIBERS: same as USGP-COO, or alternatively state delegates may opt to insert the address of their state discussion list.
* POSTING: Posting limited to delegates, alternates, observers, steering committee members, co-chairs or liaisons of committees, GP staff members and advisors.
* NOTE: For those who do not like email, www.Green-Horizon.org has a discussion bulleting board
USGP-action list: (not set-up yet)
* PURPOSE: disseminate specific action to all the states (boycotts, call-in days, short-term conference notices, etc.) for coordinated national-regional action.
* SUBSCRIBERS: same as USGP-COO, or alternatively state delegates may opt to insert the address of their state action list.
* POSTING limited to delegates and steering committee members.