June 10, 2004

SC Call Notes — June 10, 2004

Jo Chamberlain, Jake Schneider, Alan Kobrin, Ben Manski, Greg Gerritt
staff: Adam Benedetto, Tim Condon, Emily Citkowski, Kara Mullen

Call Functions:
Facilitators: Jo Chamberlain and Ben Manski
Notes: Greg Gerritt
Timer: Jake Schneider
Vibes: All

Abbreviations used:
AFT = American Federation of Teachers
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
GW = George Washington University
IC = International Committee
ICA = Institute for Cultural Affairs
LC = Lavender Caucus
LG = Lavender Greens
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

Published Agenda
Agenda Review

office 5 minutes

convention 50 minutes
rules debate
CC meeting agenda
what else on convention
Election administrator prepping him
Rules: who, how, what, when, challenges
CC meeting
projecting totals
Women’s Caucus
donation forms
platform process
discussion with Kara on oversight 10 minutes
finances 10 minutes
including DC disbursement
Tour contract 5 minutes

voting queue 20 minutes
Lavender Caucus When?
Loyalty Oath Timing?

4 votes this coming week, no votes at all this week

Currently Under Discussion

Process for electing the Steering Committee – Option 2
Process for electing the Steering Committee – Option 1
Process for electing the Steering Committee – Option 3
Black Caucus Accreditation Approval – GPPA
Endorsement of Racism Watch
Black Caucus Accreditation Approval – AC/DC

Currently Voting

2004 GPUS Presidential campaign endorsement procedures Floor Manager: Greg Gerritt

Approval of Convention Voting Administrator Floor Manager: Greg Gerritt

Amend credentialling rules for 2004 convention Floor Manager: Ben Manski


Agenda review: ordered convention discussion

Office report:
No office report as it is all convention all the time for the next few weeks.

Adam: Materials are being collected. June 15 is final deadline for inclusion so that printing can be done. What is available now will be posted on the web now, the rest after June 15.

471 individuals so far and 61 by state with no name attached so far. Several states still have many folks to register. $34,500 received so far. Food sign ups so far are at $6800.

Member of ANMC is cross checking between credentials delegate lists and registrations so we should have a better handle on that soon.

Being able to project voting totals for the nomination process on a screen so all can see them during the process, being worked on by IT folks.

Credentials process, moving forward, seems to be going okay.

Facilitation at CC meeting:
SC will handle routine stuff, All SC members are asked to send the names of CC members who can handle tough facilitation issues of ones the SC needs to not facilitate(conflict of interest or similar concerns) to greg to compile. We should have facilitators recruited before we reach Milwaukee.

Minutes at CC meeting and convention:
Adam is interviewing volunteers to work with Greg.

International speakers:
Ben will have a conversation with IC co-chairs to get final determination of what we can do.

SC continues to flag rules issues and will instruct Election Administrator at convention that those are out of order unless the CC changes that.

Sunday Rally still being planned. ANMC needs to do more on this.

CC meeting agenda:
Greg presented a draft that seemed mostly okay. He will continue working on it and refining it.

Oversight of Fundraising Director:
Kara begins. Her understanding is that she is supervised by the SC, with Marnie Glickman, her specifically assigned supervisor and additional supervision from Jake and Marnie, as the co chairs of the Fundraising Committee. Lara’s job description states that she provides support to the Fundraising Committee. This is based on her signed offer letter, her job description and conversations during her interview proccess. There is to be a 6 month review by Marnie, a co chair, and one other person from the fundraising committee, but that has not yet been set up.

With Marnie leaving the SC, though not the Fundraising committee, the SC needs to make sure that no oversight balls are being dropped. Jake will talk to Marnie and this will be placed on future agendas to make sure everything moves forward.

Kara had additional concerns that some of the things she needs for fundraising success have not been provided such as a revamping of the data base and that she should be able to get more assistance getting those types of things finished.

GPUS Finances:
have about $61,000 in hand, with at least $30,000 going out this week for convention and regular expenses. Other convention expenses coming right up. Convention expenses are about on budget as are revenues. Will delay setting up a new account for reserve funds until after the convention.

African American Tour of America contract for tour director
Jo and Ben are having discussions with Jason.

Voting Queue

4 votes are scheduled to begin on June 14.

Black Caucus Accreditation Approval – GPPA
Endorsement of Racism Watch
Black Caucus Accreditation Approval – AC/DC
All will proceed as scheduled. The SC was hoping that some accommodation could be reached between the PA delegation and the AC so that there would be just one vote on the Black Caucus accreditation, but that did not happen, so CC will vote on both measures.

The vote on the proposals on how to conduct the election of the SC will, as scheduled, take place in Milwaukee. So far there has been no discussion of these proposals.

Two new proposals were introduced this week and have been circulated to the CC via email. Long and spirited discussion about how best to schedule them.

The SC agreed by a vote of 4 to 1 to put the Lavender Caucus accreditation on the voting page for a vote beginning June 14. The dissenting vote was for the vote to be held in Milwaukee. (Greg dissented)

The SC agreed by a vote of 4 to 1 to place the proposal on removing the pledge by delegates from the credentials language into voting on June 17 for a 4 day voting period, to end June 21. The dissenting vote was for a vote in Milwaukee. (Greg dissented)

SC noted that GPUS bylaws do accommodate expedited votes when there are time crunches, including 24 and 48 hour voting periods, and this should be noted to the CC in the voting queue report. The majority of the SC believes that it is better to resolve these issues before we assemble in Milwaukee, and that the agenda in Milwaukee is full enough that deciding these issues before we arrive is in the best interests of the organization.

Noted that the proposal to change credentialling language does not yet have finalized language. CA is still working on language and willing to entertain suggestions and amendments. Because of this the SC decided to shift the vote from beginning Monday the 14th to beginning on Thursday the 17th . Suggestions for language should be sent, even before the document goes up on the voting page, to the presenters Leslie Bonett, Nanette Pratini, and Forrest Hill

Adjourn at 11:30 PM EDT
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green