SC Call Notes — May 20, 2004
Ben Manski, Jake Schneider, Jo Chamberlain, Alan Kobrin, Greg Gerritt
staff Emily Citkowski
AFT = American Federation of Teachers
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
GW = George Washington University
IC = International Committee
ICA = Institute for Cultural Affairs
LC = Lavender Caucus
LG = Lavender Greens
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]
OLD BUSINESS AND REPORTS
Office 10 minutes
Convention 40 minutes
Assistant Convention Organizer hire
Fiscal request from LC
Voting Queue 15 minutes
4 new resolutions for voting page
Presence at DNC and RNC
2004 GPUS Presidential campaign endorsement procedures
Amendment to the proposal
Finished Voting but not certified
Change Fiscal Policy to permit donations to the maximum applied by law
Diversity at Green Party National Committee meetings
Adopted Sun 05/02/04
Dispute Resolution Committee 5 minutes
FL John Kerry thing. 10 minutes
SC recruitment 5 minutes
SC participation 5 minutes
2004 Racism Watch task force 5 minutes
I’ve had a couple states ask me about the enforcement provisions of the pledge that “Presidential Nominating Convention delegates nor its Presidential electors will work in active opposition to the Presidential Slate nominated by the Green Party Presidential Nominating Convention.” 5 minutes
Agenda review: no changes
Emily: Beyond usual daily stuff working on Income Cost Accounting and finding an intern for the summer. New copier is up and running. Convention has brought in $30,000 in registrations 436 registrations so far. Sent out revised convention budget. Have an intern starting next week, will focus on data entry. Developing a non disclosure form for signatures for all interns.
Ben: Discussed budget, legalese, labor costs. Audio visual is still a little problematic. All agreed to have Ben sign contract and Jake send the $8350 contract calls for.
Ben has convened a few people including Center for Voting and Democracy to figure out how to display and openly count votes at the convention. Likely to be a spread sheet projected on a screen.
Greg: Agenda being worked on. Committee/Caucus reports, Elections of SC and CCC. Committees have been asked to report back on what they need for time, but response has been very limited. Noted that committees have not responded to pleas that they arrange their meetings either.
ANMC has suggested hiring a particular person (Tim C.) for $1000 for the month of June to assist Adam. It is in the budget. Jo noted that she was concerned that this position was not advertised outside of the Milwaukee area, that our rules call for wider advertising of all positions. Approved hiring with Jo standing aside.
The budget actually calls for $2000 for an assistant, but ANMC decided to split it into two positions, one in Milwaukee, one in DC. DC position is not yet filled and will be advertised appropriately.
Ben: Matt Gonzalez has agreed to be Elections Administrator. SC agreed to use voting page for CC approval process. Greg will floor manage.
Jake: Lavender Caucus has asked for money from its budget for travel for two people to the Annual meeting and convention. Jake read the rules that state that travel funds for committees can not be used for members travel to the annual meeting. First we discussed whether or not this applied to caucuses, and agreed that it did. Then SC agreed that the request should be denied as it does not fit in with the policy that funds from the GPUS should not be used to bring members to the annual meeting. Alan and Ben stood aside from the decision. Jake will follow up and contact the LC to report the decision and we all agreed that the travel policy needs to be further elaborated for clarity.
The following proposals were add to the voting queue
Proposal on participation in protests at DNC and RNC. 3 weeks discussion then vote. Ben will floor manage
Revised language on Credentials for convention 1 week discussion, then vote Ben will floor manage
Revised language on Proxies at the convention immediate vote Greg will floor manage
Proposal to Endorse Racism Watch 2004 3 week discussion then vote Alan will floor manage
Proposal from GPPA on accreditation of Black Caucus 3 weeks discussion then vote Jo will floor manage
All resolutions will be posted and opened on the voting page in the next few days.
Dispute Resolution Committee
Greg and Jo will attempt to get the committee up and running.
Discussed the offer from FL Greens to arrange a meeting.
3 declared candidates for 5 seats. Noted that BRPP should finish elections rules ASAP. Also discussed using portfolio approach to help with recruitment.
Discussed SC participation in the work of the SC.
Discussed the question that has come up about what the GPUS would do to those Greens or state parties that did not follow the decision of the convention. noted that it is unlikely that any actions could or would be taken against individuals who worked against the decision of the convention, but that state parties that went against the decision of the convention would probably be referred to the Accreditation Committee and would be subject to challenge by individuals and state parties. Obviously a very political decision.
Adjourned at 11:40PM
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green