1. Green Party of Texas submitting
Wesson Gaige – firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Laura Palmer – firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
2. Approval Process
These were submitted to be considered by our Annual State meeting held June 6-7, 2017. The list submitted contained more points. Not all were adopted. These were adopted as part of GPTX Platform on June 7, 2017 and were requested to be forwarded to GPUS to be included in the GPUS Platform.
3. Contact Person: (was authored by katija gruene)
4. 5. 6. Placement
This should be added as item K. in II. Social Justice / 8. Youth. It is new and does not replace anything.
Please advise if more is needed.
K. In agreement with Green parties worldwide, we fully support efforts of youth empowerment.
- We call for the lowering of voting age to 16. This ensures that youth workers have their voices heard on equal ground with all other working people.
- We oppose punitive age-based curfew laws.
- We call for the restoration of the drinking age to 18.
- We oppose the restriction of private cannabis usage based on age, and believe that no one should face charges for the possession and recreational use of cannabis.
- In order to bring our state into line with the vast majority of the world, we call for the lowering of the age of consent to 16.
- We support required representation of students aged 16 or older on local school boards
- We strongly oppose the criminalization of youth, zero tolerance policies, and the explosion of the for-profit “troubled teen” and school-to-prison industries.
- Anyone sentenced to a youth correctional facility, after being charged as a minor, must be released upon reaching their eighteenth birthday.
- We demand American ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.