April 10, 2006

GPUS-SC Conference Call
10 April 2006
9:00 p.m. ET

Rebecca Rotzler, Budd Dickinson, Jody Haug, Brent McMillan, Jake Schneider, Holly Hart, Marc Sanson, Steve Kramer later in the call
Sylvia Inwood, NWC co-chair, for Item 6.c.

Facilitator: Rebecca
Timekeeper: Jake

Abbreviations used:
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

a. Political Director — BRENT
236 candidates announced. In 33 elections, 17 won, giving Greens a 52% win rate. In comparison, in 2004, Greens had a 44% win. Greens are showing strong electability right now. Spring elections are always easier to win that fall elections.

Brent met with Austrian Green Martina Neuwirth, Senior Advisor on Foreign Affairs and Development Aid to Green Foreign Policy Spokeswoman Ulrike Lunacek, MP Austria. There are currently 17 Greens in the Austrian parliament. Of interest is that they are unaware of the Plan for a New American Century. Brent will write up a report for the IC.

Have received two responses for the electoral intern, both look good. Rob Tuffts will be making contact.

CCC is working with code weavers to develop what will eventually be available service to candidates for online database, matching volunteers to GOTV. They will be coming to SC later with proposal in that regard.

Fundraising – Brent
Will be making deposit tomorrow, $2305.71. Direct mail is doing very well, exceeding expectations. Exceeded net expectation for 6 months only 3 1/2 months into the year. Similar to direct mail returns of several years ago.

Brent has sent to the SC a draft job descriptions for a west coast fundraising assistant. Phone banking is going well, having west coast assistant appears promising.

Most recent report shows a negative balance of about $2100, due to paying out 1st quarter of state sharing. Tomorrow’s deposit will alleviate that. Treasurer will be getting another quarter of state sharing checks out, which will take us down to our reserve of about $17,000. Let’s hope that Brent is right, that fundraising is going well.

Question from Ann Link regarding Media Committee’s Green Party ad. Media Committee wants a lInk on their page for donations; and wants donations through that link to go specifically toward putting the ad on airwaves/cable. Question needs to go to Fundraising and Finance Committees. Jake will let Ann Link know. SC will need to address again next week.

received, 4/7/06; BRPP: Proposed Policy on GPUS Internal Elections
2 weeks discussion, 1 week vote
Sanson // 2/3

Holly will ask BRPP to put in appropriate format no later than Wednesday, SC will look over no later than Friday; to go up on voting page next Monday per regular schedule.

General discussion on links to older proposals that have been included in some of the proposals, have been considered helpful. Marc notes the links sometimes go dead and suggests making them permanent. Holly will follow up with voting page and webmaster.

IV. Committee activity and accountability – Marc
Has something ready to send, but can’t be finalized until there is a decision on the current Open Meetings proposal, as that affects some of the content.

Marc will forward draft to the SC when he returns from Tuscon this week. Ideally, would also have BRPP look at before it goes to NC.

V. Ongoing Business
a. Executive session item – Holly 9:44 – 9:51 p.m.

b. Annual National Meeting
Marc and Emily have toured the premises in Tuscon. They (premises) look fantastic, a lot of extra space. Historic YWCA building has old gymnasium/ meeting room for plenary session, conference room for Media Room, rooms for meetings, other space.

Downstairs, Paulo Freire Freedom School will let us use the whole school, access to lap top computers. Some will be reserved for MC, SC and office use; access to copy machine, printer and fax. Working on A/V solutions for some needs. Looks to come in under budget under facilities portion. Near downtown area with arts, restaurants, etc. Marc and Emily have checked out nearby vegetarian/vegan fare. Should work out very well for the meeting.

Campus Greens will try to hold their convention there at the same time, probably somewhere in the University or dorms where we will have additional housing.

VI. New Business
a. Forum Managers – Holly
Question from Echo Steiner on listserv etiquette and Forum Manager contact address on website or message footers; FM working rules, do further guidelines need further approval? Holly will post their guidelines and Echo’s question to the SC list again; SC can compare with #186.
Marc – sees no need for action, unless we see their guidelines are not within #186. The SC can make recommendations or make recommendations to the NC. If the SC sees anything to recommend, will do so, but Forum Managers are not bound to follow recommendations.

b. May 1st Coalition – information? Endorsement? Action? – Rebecca

G-PAX is working with a number of agencies with what is turning out to be a nat’l call. G-PAX is working on how they want to be involved; working on proposal to ask SC to approve and endorsement of the call. This is within our 10 KV and policy.

Jody – we should think about establishing protocol so that when these situations arise, we can ask proposers what we need to make a decision; refer to portions of 10KV of platform.

Rebecca will get more info to SC list over the next couple of days,

c. NWC NWC Co-chairs had asked for time on the call. Sylvia Inwood called in. Morgen D’Arc was not able to be on call. Sylvia asked to postpone the item to a future call.

Discussion: Marc/Budd – want to know why the NWC was requesting time.
Marc – states concern about rumors about secret investigations and processes in the Accreditation Committee, which should not at all be going on w/out the NC being aware of it. A big concern. This is the second investigation we’ve heard they’re conducting in secret with no notification to NC or SC, no notification that a complaint has been filed, not a procedure allowed under GPUS bylaws or AC policies and procedures. Wants to find out from the AC where they think they have the authority to do this.

Sylvia – that’s the main reason why two NWC co-chairs wanted to be on the call, you are addressing that.

Jody -it seems appropriate that the AC have someone on the call when this is brought up.

Marc – made proposal some months ago, would again make the proposal that we ask the AC to release to the SC and NC any and all complaints filed and any and all investigations they are currently or have been conducting in regards to affiliation to any caucus or state.

Jody – the AC responded to one question. The AC needed to be aware of this issue and have a chance to respond again.
Marc – that wasn’t his proposal. The NC never approved any AC policy on confidentiality. The NC just went through impeachment proceedings that were very open and transparent. Nat’l officer positions are far less important than state or caucus affiliation. This is not acceptable and not currently allowed by AC policies and procedures. The proposal is disclosure to us immediately for all complaints received, all investigations currently conducting.

Budd – AC has a confidentiality agreement

Jake -We are talking about two different subjects. Finish with “New Womens’ Caucus” co-chair first, then discuss confidentiality disagreement between Jody and Marc.

PROPOSAL, Jake – to agree to postpone NWC request for time until the next call. AGREED.

PROPOSAL, Jake – to ask AC co-chairs to next conference call and schedule conference prior to NWC co-chairs coming on next call.
Steve – good idea, but would suggest we can have 1 or 2 people go ahead and work issue before the next call, try to mediate something before we get to the call. Budd offers to help.
Jake – fine with Steve and Budd working with AC, but wants mandatory attendance of AC co-chairs on next conference call. Budd/Steve agree.

PROPOSAL, Marc – that the SC request the AC to release to the SC and NC any and all complaints filed and any and all investigations they are currently or have been conducting in regards to affiliation to any caucus or state.
Marc – agrees to table his proposal for two weeks, pending report and their attending the next call. AGREED/TABLED.

PROPOSAL, Rebecca – Steve and Budd will be in contact with AC, for partial discussion, but AC’s presence will be required at the 4/24 SC meeting, 9p, 10 -15 minutes on agenda; NWC co-chairs on at 10:15, 10-15 minutes. AGREED

AC co-chairs will be asked to be on next SC conference call, 9 p.m. ET, 10-15 minutes. NWC co-chairs will be asked to be in next SC call at 10:15 p.m. ET, 10-15 minutes.

d. Proposals process – integration of past adopted policies; SC P&Ps – Jake, Budd

1 – PROPOSAL, Jake – the proposal for voting rules, passed in 2002, was intended to replace Article V in the bylaws, but ended up in Section VI in RP&Ps, Proposal is that we make appropriate changes accordingly, and move the language to Bylaws, Article V. AGREED

2 – PROPOSAL – regarding proposals approved 10/01 for presenting and voting on proposals; will be sent up to RP&Ps, to become Section VI. Discussion

Marc – concern about amendment not going through NC.
Rebecca – agrees with Marc.

Holly – PROPOSE to NC a housekeeping amendment on putting this in, make clear it’s not altering content. Marc – add language to reference that this passed and will be added to RP&Ps Section VI.

Steve – feels this is redundant, agrees with Jake just add to the Rules.

Jody – we have a revolution to do out there, one of these weeks; if we just put an announcement on NC list that says this thing passed, it’s not replacing or changing anything, just adding this in, if someone doesn’t like it they can write a proposal to move on it.

Budd agrees.

PROPOSAL, amended; Jake – to make an announcement to the NC that it has come to our attention that the proposal approved 10/01, 31 Y 2 N, on presenting and voting on proposals, needs to be part of the RP&Ps, to be included in Section VI. Marc – FRIENDLY AMENDMENT: announce that the change will be made on April 17th. AGREED
Marc – same concerns, but will stand aside. Make change on April 17, barring objections.

Rebecca – Agrees with Marc’ s concern, agrees to stand aside.

3 – SC R P&Ps – sub-committee/working group to draft SC RP&Ps. Budd, Jody, Holly, Rebecca, Marc. Will put out invitation to Gwen and Pat

Note: Permission Requested – Trade Edition “Dissent in America” – Holly signed off. We should get two comp. copies. Rebecca asked for a copy for review in Tuscon, if possible.

NEXT CALL: Monday, April 24, 9:00 p. m. ET

Holly Hart
Secretary, GPUS
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green