August 22, 2005

GPUS-SC Conference Call
22 August 2005

Holly Hart, Jake Schneider, Steve Kramer, Jody Haug, Marc Sanson, Gwen Wages, Brent McMillan, Emily Citkowski, Pat LaMarche, Rebecca Rotzler on at 9:10 p ET; others gradually went off call due to schedules and cell phone batteries
Guest: Rob Tuffts (co-chair, CCC)

Facilitators: Jake, 1st half; Gwen, 2cnd half
Time: Marc
Notes: Holly

Abbreviations used:
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

I. CCC report (Brent, Rob Tuffts)
1) Recent CCC business has focused on 5 candidates that have applied for resources; committee has assigned a CCC member to each one for review, and is getting volunteer and donor lists to candidates. Added 10 new candidates from PA.

2) Rob: In last night’s CCC call, it came up that Brent doesn’t have a contract. Rob contacted Steve Kramer about being on tonight’s call. Rob and Jen (Walling, CCC co-chair) agreed to respectfully request that SC put together and present Brent with acceptable contract no later than next SC call, preferably asap.

Steve noted that this is part of a wider problem; neither Brent nor Emily have contracts; a personnel manual is still in process; we need to move on this, asap. Marc remembered that they went through this at the end of last year and thought progress had been made with contracts with Brent/Emily as well as contract workers. What was the end status?

– Staff now has letters of agreement signed, with some jobs listed and benefits, but not details. Emily has no supervisor; she used to check in with Greg Gerritt. There is not a formalized check-in procedure. Last year, there were three directors. Contractors were negotiated separately, with no real consistency in terms.

TWO ISSUES: Lack of contracts for full-time staff; inconsistency in agreements with contractors. SC will seek contracts and job descriptions for all personnel, general employment contract (Emily/Brent – Jody and Marc); and job descriptions. Becky (Weber), Marc, Jen, Rob and Brent should discuss Brent’s job description. Emily proposed that we collectively come up with contracts for two full-time employees, then review our process for hiring contractors.

Gwen and Marc asked Emily and Brent to write up list of duties they’re doing under each hat, and distribution of hours.

Marc will research employment contracts and work on drawing something up; Rob is willing to work with him on this.

Jody is willing to take Internal Affairs portfolio. Steve is supervisor of Brent through Electoral portfolio; Marc will also be supervisor of Brent through Finance portfolio.

Sometime this coming week, Brent, Becky, Emily and whoever else is needed will get on a call and figure out how to work this out. Rob noted that a conference call is a good idea; however, he would not participate unless Emily and people for whom she is responsible are also on the call.

Rob leaves the call.

II. Executive session 8:33 p.m. – 8:44 p.m. ET

III. Staff reports
1) Finances
a. Brent met a new donor who is tentatively considering making a contribution to GP. The GPUS needs to have a donor bill of rights for donors to be assured info about their donation is handled with respect and confidentiality to the extent allowed by the law. Brnet recommends a Proposal to the NC to adopt a Donor Bill of Rights.

b. Fundraising solicitations for the past month look good.

c. Executive session 8:48 – 9:14 p.m. ET

d. Jake reports that FinCom has been mostly working on a 2006 budget.

Finance reports are done and will be sent on to SC and NC.

The Fundraising committee currently has Marc and Becky Weber as co-chairs, both want to step down, we need to help recruit new members and potential co- chairs.
Jody – stress it’s good to have a co-chair who has been on the committee.

e. Treasurers’ report – 2 months’ reserve.

3) Lease Options – (Emily, Jake)
Jake spoke with the landlord’s son. There is not yet word from the building’s other tenant organization as to their intentions for their leased space. Jake asked for a note as to what sort of terms (years) and rent increases could be expected. Emily will try to have a casual conversation with the other tenants.

IV. Black Caucus

AC has received no complaint form. Not sure what the AC might do for the BC. There are questions about wehter the BC is in compliance with their bylaws, but action cannot be taken based on vague rumors and innuendo. Some members have shown interest in seeking mediation. One complaint has been filed to nat’l list and with the Secretary involving a proposal submitted by the BC.

Executive session 8:44 – 10:02 p.m. ET

V. Voting Queue (Holly)
In Discussion Period:
1) #166 – SC: Approval of Minutes from NC annual meeting
2) # 167 – MI: Anti-War activities proposal
3) # 168 – WI: proportional representation for national nominating convention delegations

For the Voting Queue:
1) received, 8/8/05 – MI: “Rebuilding – We Will Not Be Enemies” Threshold: 50%+1
Floor Manager: Marc

2) received, 8/10/05 – MI: statement of independent purpose
Threshold ??
Floor Manager: Jake
Concerns expressed that this doesn’t say specifically what they want us to do.
Secretary will send it back to GPMI for clarification.

3) received, 8/14/05 – PA: two proposals concerning the GPUS-SC co-chair election

4) received, 8/15/05 – MN: proposal concerning the GPUS-SC co-chair election

5) received, 8/15/05 – AZ: proposal to institute affirmative action for delegation

6) received, 8/15/05 – AZ: proposal for online consensus process

7) received, 8/19/05 – BC: proposal to approve Asa Gordon as a representative of the GPUS position in enlisting congressional sponsorship of a “Right to Vote Act”
Secretary will contact BC and explain that the SC have concerns that this hasn’t been properly vetted by BC, recommend they get another sponsor or co- sponsor. Asa Gordon will be contacted with an explanation, as well.

VI. SC co-chair election.
See above; all proposals received by the Secretary by Noon ET Monday, August 22, will be posted to the voting page for 1 week of discussion and a 1-week voting period.

VII. Invitation for Third Party Conference in October, Hew Hampshire. (Emily)
The conference website is: John Rensenbrink has been invited and plans to attend.

VIII. Web update – (Holly) – brief news of current web work;
TABLED for lack of time

IX. September 24th Unity (Rebecca, Jody) – tabled on 8/8/05 call;
TABLED for lack of time; may no longer be any need for discussion.

X. F2F meeting in September (Jody)
Weekend of OCTOBER 28

XI. SPWG update
TABLED, for lack of time and no updates.

XII. Portfolio reports
FINANCE (Jake, Marc): FinCom, FunCom – see above
ELECTORAL (Steve): CCC, Office Holders Network, PCSC, Legal Team – see above
POLICY (Gwen): Platform, Peace, Intnl, DC
Platcom – interest in creating brochures and other platform-related projects
IC – Muslim Outreach – Steve is no longer on call; Marc and Rebecca will follow up with him

XIII. Tulsa reports from committees/events (Holly)
TABLED; more reports are trickling in.

IV. Portfolio reorganization
– see portfolio reorganization plan forwarded by Jody, and notes form Jody, Steve and Marc
– IT-Committee (IT, Communications Committee, Web Content Team)

XV. prioritizing leftover agenda items

Next Call – 9/5 Labor day (change to 9/5)
Gwen suggests adding an agenda item to consider more frequent calls, as amount of work necessitates.

Holly Hart
Secretary, GPUS
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green