Merchandise Committee – Bylaws
The primary mission of the Merchandising Committee (MerchCom) is to provide a funding source for the GPUS through the sales of products. The committee’s secondary mission is to support outreach activities to increase the visibility of the GPUS. To do this, the MerchCom will:
- Maintain and promote a line of GPUS merchandise;
- Promote a bulk order, discount pricing program to support grassroots fundraising and outreach efforts of states and locals;
- Strive to choose vendors that actively follow Green values in product production;
- Research, develop and publicize best sources for ethically appropriate campaign materials and Green merchandise that are not stocked for sale by the Green Party;
- Develop and administer a Green Seal of Approval for vendors of products and services;
- Assist other Greens to develop merchandise for their unique promotional situations;
- Entertain suggestions for new products and vendors;
- Monitor and adjust pricing and stocking levels to balance goals of fundraising success and outreach benefits
The Committee shall consist of interested Green Party members from the various state parties and caucuses. The Merchandising Committee shall allow up to two members from each accredited state party and each caucus. The Committee may discuss and decide to include more than two on a case-by-case basis. An updated membership list shall be sent to the e-mail list at least every quarter.
Members who have not participated on-line, in subcommittees, or on teleconferences for a period of three consecutive months shall be considered inactive and will no longer be considered members of the committee unless they have made prior arrangements for a leave of absence.
The Committee may create working groups and subcommittees which shall adhere to these by-laws.
Election of Co-Chairs
Two co-chairs, preferably reflecting gender balance, shall be elected from the committee membership for staggered terms of two years each. If more than two candidates are nominated, the committee shall vote using Instant Runoff Voting (IRV). Members may nominate themselves or any other member of the committee to stand for election. Vacancies shall cause an election to be held for a replacement co-chair.
Responsibilities of Co-Chairs
The responsibilities of the co-chairs shall include setting the agenda for the committee and committee meetings, conducting votes, maintaining a current roster of committee members, maintaining a current roster of vendors, and maintaining a current budget for the committee and the merchandising program. Co-chairs shall submit quarterly reports to the NC discussion list detailing activities, merchandise and finances. The co-chairs shall determine how to share their responsibilities.
Recall of Co-Chairs
A Co-chair may be recalled by a proposal requiring a majority vote of the committee.
Committee Internal Decision-Making
The Merchandising Committee shall maintain an e-mail list to be used for all committee communications, regular business, and formal decision-making.
Proposals shall have a one-week discussion period followed by a three-day voting period. The discussion period may be extended at anytime by a minimum of three days. If all participating members agree to a consensus at the end of the discussion period, the proposal may be passed without a vote. The co-chairs shall conduct and verify the voting.
A majority of participating members must vote in favor of a decision for it to be approved. Members’ online votes will be recorded in the minutes of the next meeting.
Teleconferences and In-Person Meetings
The MerchCom shall conduct teleconference meetings at least monthly, or more often if deemed necessary. Notice of any committee teleconference shall be sent out to the e-mail list at least three days in advance, and shall include a proposed agenda. During teleconferences and face-to-face meetings, the Committee shall seek consensus, but when necessary, make decisions with a majority of participating members voting in favor of a matter for it to be approved.
- Accreditation Committee
- Animal Rights Committee
- Annual National Meeting Committee
- Apportionment Review Committee
- Apportionment Tabulation Committee
- Ballot Access Committee
- Banking and Monetary Reform Committee
- Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
- Coordinated Campaign Committee
- Credentials Committee
- Dispute Resolution Committee
- Diversity Committee
- Eco Action Committee
- Finance Committee
- Fundraising Committee
- Green Pages
- International Committee
- Media Committee
- Merchandise Committee
- Outreach Committee
- Peace Action Committee
- Platform Committee
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee
- Steering Committee