How to Seek the Green Party’s presidential nomination (2016)
The GPUS presidential nomination occurs at the GPUS Presidential Nominating Convention every four years. In 2016 the convention will be held in Houston, Texas, tentatively August 4-7, 2016.
At the Nominating Convention, delegates from state Green Parties cast their preferences for presidential nominees. It is the cumulative vote of those delegates that determines the GPUS nominee.
Each state party has its own process by which it votes for candidates and selects and instructs its delegates. Some processes will occur beginning in late 2015. Others will occur through the first half of 2016. Some state parties participate in formal party primaries established by state law, others conduct party conventions and/or caucuses to vote for candidates instruct their delegates.
As these processes become finalized, they will be summarized on this 2016 Presidential Campaign calendar. It will be up to potential nominees to decide how much they wish to participate in each states’ process.
The GPUS also has its own process to officially recognize candidates as seeking the GPUS presidential nomination, according to these criteria, including gaining signatures of support from at least 100 Green Party members on this signature form.
At the GPUS presidential nominating convention, those seeking the nomination will be able to give speeches to the convention followed by a vote of the delegates. The process by which delegates vote to nominate is found here. The rules and procedures governing the speeches can be found here. The rules that govern the entire convention are found here.
Previous Green Party presidential/vice-presidential nominees
2012 2008 2004 2000, 1996
Jill Stein Cynthia McKinney David Cobb Ralph Nader
Cheri Honkala Rosa Clemente Pat LaMarche Winona LaDuke
- Accreditation Committee
- Animal Rights Committee
- Annual National Meeting Committee
- Apportionment Tabulation Committee
- Ballot Access Committee
- Banking and Monetary Reform Committee
- Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
- Coordinated Campaign Committee
- Credentials Committee
- Dispute Resolution Committee
- Diversity Committee
- Eco Action Committee
- Finance Committee
- Fundraising Committee
- Green Pages
- International Committee
- Media Committee
- Merchandise Committee
- Outreach Committee
- Peace Action Committee
- Platform Committee
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee
- Candidates seeking the 2016 Green Party presidential nomination
- How to Seek the Green Party’s presidential nomination (2016)
- Outreach and Exploratory Candidate questionnaire for the 2016 GPUS presidential nomination – Presidential Campaign Support Committee
- Presidential Campaign Calendar 2015-2016
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – members
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Mission Statement
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Reference Documents
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee 2016 Archive
- Presidential Support Campaign Committee – Rules, Policies and Procedures
- Recognized Candidates Seeking the GPUS 2016 Presidential Nomination
- What the GPUS has to offer to a prospective Green presidential candidate (2016)
- Steering Committee