April 9, 2017

GPUS Steering Committee Minutes

Sunday, April 9, 2017 – 8:00 p.m. ET

a) Facilitator: Charles Sherrouse
b) To listen to call: 712-451-0019, access code 926334, ref #23 (95 min.)
c) Chris Blankenhorn, Darlene Elias, Jan Martell, Darryl! Moch., Tamar Yager, Bahram Zandi. Absent: Sanda Everette, Andrea Merida. Observer: Starlene Rankin
d) Agenda revisions: None


a) ANM planning – Jan. The National Committee plenary meeting should be interesting, well planned and not in conflict with important workshops, though there should be other activities for those not on the NC. A program involving all attendees, not just delegates. Tentative scheduling late morning to mid-afternoon on Saturday. Sunday morning may be a good time to do a campaign debrief. Important also to build in some way to participate in local actions, to be coordinated with GPNJ. Jan volunteered to join the ANMC. ANM planning will be part of Standing Business in upcoming meetings. Deadline for a draft program, May 15.


a) Treasurer’s report – Darryl!. Jeff sent a cash balance through the end of March. We now have about $175K in the bank, some items not yet cleared. Darryl! needs to get with Jeff about the way funds are moved from one account to another. He is now on Benepay. We need to be checking back to the budget as we increase expenses, new hires etc. to see how it fits in with our approved spending plan. Money still owed by JSP for ANM still outstanding, but a check will be coming on Thursday.

b) Fundraising report – Tamar. Direct mail went out on the 31st, notify when we receive it to check mailing time. First Friday e-blast has brought in $225, not great but okay. Greenline was put together by staff, but should move to Outreach. E-blast from Jill to move supporters to the party is moving forward.

c) Personnel Working Group report – Darryl!. There are tons of applicants for accountant, need to check in with Andrea to see exactly where we are in the contact and interview process. Jan will send her top picks to PWG members but it is just her opinion, she is not involved with hiring. Jeff should be involved but he has not been in touch much. Fincom is concerned that the Treasurer needs to be on board same time as acct. Members agreed to reopen the nomination process, to start Monday 4-17.

In the queue: None

Received for the queue:
California Conflict of Interest Resolution (See addendum 1) – No findings. Jan said she had neglected to put this on the agenda back at the end of February and GPCA wanted a quick posting if possible, and members agreed. Jan will post tonight.


a) CCC and GNN update – Chris. GNN was not discussed in last CCC meeting because of time, but Julie is preparing a report from the subcommittee to CCC and CCC will report to the SC. David Cobb’s movement schools are not part of CCC and are his own initiative, not GP at all. CCC campaign schools need a website for online courses. David Doonan will help set this up in the gpus.org committee pages, app for this can’t be integrated with Nationbuilder.

Entered at 9:42 pm. Present: everyone except Sanda and Andrea. Members agreed by consensus to put the webmaster on staff at half time, defined as a salary based on 24 hr/week, $17.75/hr. As the SC researches an affordable health care plan, employees will be given a stipend handled by a third party for health expenses, set temporarily at $380/month. Exited: 10:26 pm.