October 23, 2016

GPUS Steering Committee Minutes 
Sunday, October 23, 2016 – 8:00 p.m. ET 

a) Facilitator: Charles Sherrouse
b) To listen: 712-451-0019, access code 926334, ref #13
c) Roll Call: Brian Bittner, Chris Blankenhorn, Darlene Elias, Sanda Everette, Jan Martell, Andrea Merida, Darryl Moch (joined late), Tamar Yager, Bahram Zandi. Observers: Starlene Rankin, Jeff Turner
d) Agenda revisions: Budget discussion part relating to employee salaries moved into Executive Session.



a) Treasurer’s Report – Brian. There’s about $130k in the bank; payment to Kendra for database is in the mail. CCC has requested checks to local candidates, will be sent soon. Brian is getting back to Dan Robinson, office landlord, on adding more space; no option to move back into DC as nothing big enough available there. Talking to Nationbuilder to work out a better solution to fake donations; dealing with it takes too much employee/volunteer time.

Budget items for approval: 1) spend 2016 Budget Amendment line item for International Committee travel to Nov. FPVA mtg, up to $1000 each reimbursing up to 3 delegates; 2) approve reimbursement of past FPVA and Global Greens dues paid by IC members, agreed to in last SC meeting but w/o quorum; 3) approve $200 payment of this year’s FPVA dues to take to the Nov. FPVA meeting. All three items were approved together by consensus. Bahram will send Brian a breakdown of past dues paid.

b) Fundraising Report – Tamar. Money is coming in from recent mailing, $8k so far, $3k from one major donor. Mailing to state lists is paying off, so it’s important for states to share their lists (and we reciprocate). Last 2 e-blasts on sustainers, asking to increase amount of support, doing well.

c) Personnel WG Report – Jeff is working on the IdeaList ad but the group has not met. All working group members were on the call except Maya, and agreed to a meeting Thursday 9 pm Eastern; Jeff will send out an email.

d) Budget discussion –Jeff sent out draft 6 of 2017 budget, which is due to the NC Nov. 14. Brian brought up several line items he thought might need discussion: fundraising, merchandise, ballot access. He has an idea he will present later concerning a possible new model for merchandise production, on-demand, but not for this budget. Andrea wants SC to consider extending its mission to support state parties, including infrastructure, organizing. This could be taken up at next year’s face-to-face SC meeting. Darlene wants Outreach expanded, including point people in each state; Andrea proposed a budget of $15k. Darlene will fill in details of what is needed, if not for this budget then a later amendment. Some of this may be covered in other budget lines. Jeff urged members not to wait for next meeting, discussion of additions/changes should continue online. In general, members were pleased with this budget version and feel that it is close to being complete.

In the queue: none.  Received for the queue: none


Entered: 9:57. Exited: 10:41. Present: Brian, Chris, Darlene, Sanda, Jan, Andrea, Darryl, Tamar, Bahram. Decision by consensus to continue 3 current employees at ¾ time through the end of the calendar year. Budget line for employee salaries for 2017 will be summarized in a lump figure of $200k to include 5 full-time equivalents, hours and salaries to be determined as new hires are brought on and current employee hours are adjusted.


Jan Martell, Secretary