September 11, 2016

GPUS Steering Committee Minutes
Sunday, September 11, 2016 – 8:00 p.m. ET


a) Facilitator: Frank Young

b) To hear recording: 712-451-0019, access code 926334, ref #10

c) Present: Brian Bittner, Chris Blankenhorn, Darlene Elias, Sanda Everette (joined late), Jan Martell, Andrea Merida, Tamar Yager, Bahram Zandi (joined late). Absent: Darryl! Moch. Observing: Starlene Rankin, Mike Feinstein, Jeff Turner.

d) Agenda revisions: II. c) was moved to the top of the agenda so Mike, who was here to speak to this item, could leave before the rest of business was addressed.


c) Elections database update – Jan. The working group looked into an offer by Stan Zawadski of TX to do the work as a volunteer, esp. if it could be done before he got busy in September. He proposed to do the work in Microsoft SQL and ASP. David Doonan said that would not work with our hosting plan, we need to be using MySQL and PHP to be compatible. We have by now lost his window of availability. Mike got us a quote from Kendra Markle who is a Green and highly qualified, also familiar with our needs and has worked on earlier versions of this project. It involves an initial outlay of $5750 to get us the basic setup, then there is a second phase with $4500 for added features and $4500 for data cleanup. Members decided to submit this proposal to Fincom for its 9-14 meeting for review and advice as to how this figure can be worked into the revised budget, after which the SC will use the 48hr-48hr online decision making process for approval. Phase 1 start will require a complete dump of existing data & code, which Webmaster needs to be ready to do ASAP if this is approved. Jan will contact David Doonan.

a) Liaison assignments – Jan read out the list of preferences from the last meeting, then members went through the list of committees and assigned them. Some of these may be tweaked by next meeting, which is the deadline according to our rules. Currently these are the assignments:
Chris – Ballot Access, BRPP, CCC, PCSC, Green Pages
Darlene – Diversity, Dispute Resolution, Outreach
Sanda – Apportionment, Credentials to end of this cycle, International, Eco-Action
Andrea – Accreditation, Animal Rights, ANM, Media
Darryl! – none at present, chairs Dispute Resolution and Fincom
Tamar – Fundraising, Merchandise
Bahram – Platform
Jan will find out if PeaceAction GPAX) is still a committee.

b) Capacity building update – Tamar reports that Personnel Working Group has not met and there were no new hires or prospects. Membership in PWG includes Tamar, Jeff, Maya O’Connor, Bryan, Darryl!. Jeff offered to lead, and Andrea joined.


a) Treasurer’s Report – Brian. Jeff sent cash report, $110K in the bank. Brian will be sending reports from now on. Signatory changeover is in process, Jeff will continue to write checks as needed until Brian is set up. Meanwhile the office lease is up for renewal and we may want to look into more space or possibly move back to old location. Brian will check on options.

b) Fundraising Report – Tamar. There’s a Fundcom meeting Tues, need to repopulate this committee. E-blasts have done well and brought in sustainers, report coming soon. Direct mail piece is at the printer, will go to all donors 2012 on. Prior two mailings to subgroups of old donors at least paid for themselves, but reawakening contacts will bring in more later. Have a list from FL, really big – planning an e-blast from a Florida Green and see how it does. Starlene is trying to get phone bankers, currently only one sticking with it. Audrey was good at this, maybe she will do it again after campaign season. Thanks to Sanda for making thank-you calls. Tamar urged others to do this, it can be fun.

In the queue: none
Received for the queue: none

a) Endorsement of Korean Greens statement – Bahram. IC received request from Korean Greens for GPUS to make a joint statement. It has also been sent to Scott to craft into a press release. He has already edited the grammar. This endorsement was approved by consensus.


TOTAL TIME: 115 minutes. Recording started late missing some of the agenda revision discussion.

Jan Martell