December 12, 2005

GPUS-SC Conference Call
12 December 2005
8:00 p.m. EDT

Jody Haug, Jake Schneider, Rebecca Rotzler, Holly Hart, Brent McMillan, Gwen Wages, Emily Citkowski, Marc Sanson, Steve Kramer, Pat LaMarche

Observing: Kristen Olson
Guest: Scott McLaty, Media Committee

Facilitator: Jody Haug

Abbreviations used:
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

a) Mechandise Committee has been contacted by a calendar company that prints humorous Bush misquotes. They would set up a unique web page and provide us with a link so people could purchase a calendar on their web page; GP would get $6/per calendar and names of those who purchase a calendar. They are currently doing the same for state Democratic Parties.

MerchCom asks whether this constitutes a corporate donation.

Pat – This is a commission, not a contribution; it doesn’t matter if calendar is being sold by other outlets. If MerchCom thinks it would sell and there is no liability, there is no reason not to sell it.
Jake – Send questions to FinCom to take up a week from tonight.
Rebecca – No strong opinion either way. Do we want to get involved with merchandise outside the GP?

Emily will send questions to Jake for FinCom meeting.

b) Merchandise Committee is developing a proposal to allow states and locals to use the GPUS logo for their own merchandise, and are coming up with a set of documents (policy: must be state party or officially-recognized part of state party, must have state party approval; can’t be in competition with national merchandise). Not looking for approval now, but letting us know MerchCom will be deveoping these documents for consideration.

c) Jeff Turner (HI, on Fin and FunComs), a CPA, has volunteered to come to the DC office either in early January or May to help do an inventory and evaluation of our cost accounting. We would pay plane ticket, work would be pro bono. Emily says this would help the accounting system between accountant (Doug Malkan), treasurer (Jake) and office. Advantage of early January is that we can set a system in place for financial year 2006. Tax season means Jeff won’t be available again until May. It would also be advantageous to have Doug Malkan there; the ticket from CO is in $250 range. Doug Malkan is in favor of it, would be available to fly or phone in during that time.

Disadvantage is that this is soon and a new idea. Plane ticket is $820, cost may go up.

The GP does not have contacts in DC area with this expertise, especially those who are familiar with our finances and fundraising, cost-accounting needs; don’t know if we could find someone in DC willing to volunteer their time.

Jake – This came about as the result of a discussion about the database system when a donor’s credit card expired, led to discussion about database system.
Not prepared to make a decision tonight, we don’t have the money right now.

Pat – works in small business part-time which takes automatic payments on credit card; they note mo/yr when card expires, contact the card owner and ask to update their card; there are probably efficient, simple solutions.

Steve – how much savings might this create over the next year?
Jake – don’t know.

This will be coming up on FIn&Fun calls next Monday, will continue discussion online.

POLITICAL DIRECTOR: Has been building an officeholders’ database. This is currently in spreadsheet format but will import into another program so we can have queries (who is highest-ranking officeholder, how many women elected, etc).

Identifying office holders up for re-election and contacting them.

On the CCC – inviting candidates to take part, finding out who is thinking of running, a lot of effort this past week.

44 wins for year, one more possible, 177 candidates this year with a 24.9 % win rate, 1 out of 4 (normally 1 out of 5). Candidate recruitment for 2006 is going very well.

BALLOT ACCESS – PROPOSAL – Brent is currently director on behalf of the GP to COFOE (4-5 lawsuits at any given time, they win ca. 50%). Phil Huckelberry is now chair of Ballot Access Committee; Brent proposes Phil replace Brent.
Brent would focus on getting donations to direct toward ballot access efforts.

AGREED, consensus

II. STATE OF THE UNION – Scott McLarty, Co-chair, Media Committee is present for this portion of the call.

State of the Union address is usually at the end of January. GPUS offered Green Response to SoU in 2003; Nathalie Johnson-Lee delivered official Green Response, got some air time (CNN)? This cost several thousand dollars. We will need some kind of media event connected with it, otherwise it will probably get no coverage. In 2003, they held a concert. Adam Eidinger (DCSG) suggested using some connections to reserve a room in the Capitol and hold a press conference right there, with one or two prominent Greens delivering the Green Party response. This should also be recorded and uploaded onto the website, could possibly send out discs to media.

Scott asked for input – ideas for public event, or whether to do this right in the Capitol. There might be logistical hurdles in setting up (security) in the Capitol.

Steve – If we can get in Capitol would be great. Proximity is important.
Scott – if we get the room reserved and are barred at the last minute, that’s also a news story.
Scott – last time, the concert made a good media event.
Pat – likes idea of being in the Capitol. Would be really cool to have a re- enactment of “Titanic.”
Scott – think about who we want to speak on behalf of the party. Recommend two speakers, perhaps one from DC; one running for prominent office. Might require transportation.

Scott leaves the call.

Back to I. FUNDRAISING – Brent
Has spent a lot of time on the phone, which paid off in over $21,000 in pledges last week. A lot of fundraisers saw lighter times because of natural disasters; this seems to be ending.

People pledging are, partly, people who haven’t heard from us in a long time. This shows value of developing strong phone program. There is also the sense that in 2004, we survived the perfect storm; in 2006, we *are* the storm – there are opportunities, candidates coming forward. One example is the recent news story about how Matt Gonzales and Medea Benjamin had pushed Nancy Pelosi into position on getting out of Iraq; another is our ability to fight privatization.

Anne Wilcox has been selected to fill one of the female positions. There are 2 female positions still open. Potential candidate from PA has not yet submitted responses to their questionnaire.

PDA/Elected Progressives Network
Brent – dead issue right now; was leery to begin with, there is no pressure currently to pursue it, feels it’s dangerous territory.

Jake – “skinny” – $10,000 printing bill for direct mail, will not go into $16,000 reserve to pay this off; will see if Brent may come through with some funds.

IV. FIN & FUN – Jake, Marc
Voting on Budget started today.

a. Green Affinity Card – Last call, the discussion concerned whether such donations constitute a corporate donation. Jake will bring it up on next FinCom call. On the last SC discussion, it sounded like most thought it was not a good idea.

Brent – Direct mail still on the upswing, should see good income this month off November re-solicitation. Project jointly with Santa Monica Greens. Hoping two large pledges will come in by end of the month.

Marc – There is a big effort underway by Richard Scott, Emily, Scott McLarty, several committees as part of an Outreach committee, beginning with fundraising and outreach needs. They are working to coordinate committees and begin doing outreach doing DiA.

Working with IL and hopefully other states soon to develop proposals that states can used as joint fundraising plan with GPUS, hope 5-120 states to sign on.

Brent and the FunCom are working on developing the strategic fundraising portion of the 2006 Fundraising Plan.

#191 – WIGP: Proposed Bylaws Amendment to Clarify Affiliation Agreement
Voting period: 11/28/05 – 12/04/05
Haug// 2/3

#194 – GPCA: Implementation Proposal for the Sevigny/Olson joint proposal
Voting period: 12/05/05 – 12/11/05
Schneider// 2/3

#192 – GPUS Finance Committee: 2006 Proposed Budget
Voting period: 12/12/05 – 12/18/05
Schneider// 1/2

#193 – GPUS Annual Meeting Committee: Approval of Policies and Procedures
Voting period: 12/12/05 – 12/18/05
Wages// 1/2

#195 – GPMN: Establishment of GPUS EcoAction Committee
Voting period: 12/12/05 – 12/18/05
Sanson// 1/2
Extended discussion phase

#196 – Platcom: GPUS Platform Committee: Approval of Platform Committee Rules, Policies and Procedures
Discussion through 12/11/06
Voting period: 12/12/06 – 12/18/05
Wages// 1/2

#175 – Delegate Apportionment Committee Elections
Proposals may be forthcoming that would amend this proposal to accept the STV voting method currently in use on the voting page; and to allow any member vetted by their state party or caucus to serve.

Greg Gerrit, RI
Bruce Meyer, CO
Owen Broadhurst, MA
Forrest Hill, CA
Dean Myerson (alt), DC
Ben Alpers (alt), OK
Budd Dickinson, CA
Cat Woods, CA

Steve – no news on a new program that would implement the STV method mentioned in the proposal.

Jake – is this time sensitive?
Holly- technically no, but people are asking, this issue has been a concern.

Jody- let people know some are working on proposals, but it’s unrealistic to expect anything’ til the beginning of the year.

#182 – Appointments to SC Elections Working Group
Steve – This is moving ahead and going slowly. He is currently occupied with impeachment proceedings, and legal team. Next priorities are Working Group and IT. Holly will help get working group started.

#194 – Proposal #188 mentioned 12/24 as date when further efforts would be made, if this failed.
Jake – PROPOSAL – asks for unanimous consent, that the SC propose declaration of vacancy on December 26, seeking nominations for period of 3 weeks, followed by 2 weeks discussion period, 1 week vote.
Gwen – friendly amendments: add that this is in accordance with Proposal #188 and GPUS bylaws and include relevant portions of both.

Jake – Yes
Jody – Yes
Gwen – Yes
Steve – Yes
Rebecca – Yes
Holly – Yes
Marc – Yes
Pat – Yes

AGREED, consensus

VI. Gwen asks for update from 3 SC members working on impeachment proceedings. Steve sent out a message about this this afternoon.
Jake – suggests we not talk about this now, we have too much other stuff on the agenda. Keep posts related to this on NC email list.
Marc – 1) would like to renew request for copy of the charges; 2) has there been a decision on when a tribunal will be named and announced?
Some have not received a copy of the charges. Rebecca will send hard copies to Emily and have her forward them.
Steve – expects by end of week they will have the names of the tribunal and timeline out.

Holly – PROPOSE – since we haven’t discussed this at all, yet, submit names online this week, vote next week. Holly will post reminder and time frame.

At least one formal request for an investigation into list behaviour has been made by Gary Novisielski. Agreed that Secretary will receive requests and forward them to Forum Managers. Also will will write to Gary N. to inform him that his request has been received and will be brought before the forum once it’s set up.

VIII. Proposed Memorandum of Understanding between GPUS and Workers’ Party of Pakistan. Discussion from August. Jo Chamberlain, formerly SC liaison with American Muslim Association, forwarded an MoU to Jake, citing lack of communication with the International Committee.

Steve earlier contacted the IC and was told the IC is unwilling to pursue this. Marc noted that the IC had also been asked about contacting or information about the Green Party of Pakistan. Marc asks that the SC make one more request.

Gwen is in charge of the Policy Portfolio; she will contact Jo Chamberlain; and the IC and ask for more response.

VIII. IDEALIST Conference in Nashville, TN, 3/3-5 – 5-10 min

LEGAL – Steve
2 more potential contacts for legal counsel or legal team, have been or will be sent to Steve. Some have said they are interested but want more info from us on what the structure would be. Steve is planning to set up a conference call between all who have responded, to get an idea of their specialties and how to fit into team; also a list of tasks (ballot access is a priority).
Steve’s priorities are:
Holly will take on SC WG

Tulsa reports sent to webmaster.
Minutes from past calls have now all gone out, will check to see that they are posted on the web.

INTERNAL – Jody: BRPP is using a wiki, she will be learning it “over break.”
DRC – needs to get on their listserv (Steve – it’s going quietly and slowly).
Personnel has some things to do and will be working “over break.” AC has received a complaint; is working to get another state accredited.
Marc requested information about the complaint form submitted to the AC, but was told it is AC policy to keep complaints confidential.
AnmCom has bids from Seattle and AZ.

OUTREACH -Rebecca: DivCom got things worked out with their co-chairs.
MerchCom has new co-chair.

COMMUNICATIONS – Steve: CommCom is almost entirely quiet. IT has had some communications, Jane Hunter is helping with the structure of the committee.

STATE SUPPORT – Pat: fell off call. Jody will ask Pat for any update.

e. Personnel – Draft Contract – Marc
Marc covered everything we might need to cover, may be things we don’t need.
Jody has sent feedback. Need more.
Emily – looked through it in detail and has some notes; will send to Marc.

NEXT MEETING: Monday, January 2, 2006; 9:00 p.m. ET

Holly Hart
Secretary, GPUS
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green