December 17, 2006

8:00 p.m. EDT

Holly Hart, Echo Steiner, Budd Dickinson, Brent McMillan, Emily Citkowski, Jim Coplen, Jody Grage, Liz Arnone, Rebecca Rotzler came on just after the start but fell off later, Steve Kramer came in about 45 minutes into the call

Observer: Jason Nabewaniec, NY

Facilitator: Liz
Timekeeper: Echo

Abbreviations used:

AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group

[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

Database update: Database professional Arnold Bosserman came in to help office with a new update. We now have a way to automate database updates; also, a query that will automate fundraising turf reports for dollar, state and range – this saves a lot of time for fundraisers.

Database project: Echo and Chris Uzall will move access database into MYSQUAL online on a secure server.

Online fundraising is going well. Emily sent the most recent income report to Jody and Doug office.

PLEASE NOTE: STUDENTS AND OTHERS WHO LIVE IN VA, MD AND DC AREA ARE ALWAYS WELCOME TO COME IN AND VOLUNTEER IN THE NATIONAL OFFICE! The office will have a new volunteer for the holiday season (student in MD, may bring a friend).

Next CCC meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, December 19. Brent received a report from Brent White from GSCC: they have asked the FEC for a delay on action on their AOR until February 9; this was granted, so the hearing will be on 2/9/07. Dean Myerson, treasurer, and Brent McMillan will be there. FEC considered this a legitimate application.
This is the first time a party has asked to form such a committee (Democratic and Republican Parties were grandfathered in). Tracking number on the FEC website is 2006-36

Elections update: another win in TX. Brent is seeking input and updates from the states to come up with a final list of officeholders.
There are currently about 242 Green officeholders.

Nearly finished with entering data into Access and elections database.
Once complete, Brent will begin to solicit donor lists from 2006 candidates.

Hopes to get out a prospect mailing around February. Will also solicit email addresses. Last year, the Access fundraising database increased by about 1000; currently, it’s at about 1300, showing more than arithmetic growth.

Last fundraising solicitation (female officeholders, merchandise insert) hasn’t done as well as hoped. Brent thinks it has nothing to do with our end, but with a larger trend – donations are down in organizations nationwide. Brent is going back to focus on large donations, since November was not as strong a month as we’d hoped.

d. Question – need to clarify policy on whether employee vacation/holidays carry over from year to year. PROPOSAL, Jody: That vacation days be carried on into this coming year. PASSED

e. East Coast, West Coast and Central Fundraisers
Hiring committee came to a decision about fundraising hires. Rebecca White was hired as east Coast fundraising assistant. Jake Schneider was hired as Central fundraising assistant. Hiring committee included Brent McMillan, Emily Citkowksi, Rebecca Weber, Liz Arnone.

APPROVED, that Brent send out the contracts.
Once the contracts are signed, Brent will announce the new hires to the NC list.

a) Treasurer’s report
Sent out reports for October and November; plan to get subsequent reports out within the first couple weeks of each month. Account currently has $5000; needs $10,000 to get through the end of the month. We owe another $7000 to Red Sun Press. Will hold off on state sharing a bit, until things are caught up. Two states are returning their state sharing (WI for third and fourth quarter, TX for 2006).

b) 2007 proposed budget
Discussion was extended one week; sent out explanation of how FinCom worked to allocate budget.

The secretary had received a request to extend discussion another week, possibly arrange calls for some committees and FinCom for discussion. The discussion indicated that it was felt that one week’s extension was enough, and that the budget needs to be acted on now. It was noted that this is just a budget, all the proposed funds need not be spent. Even after budget passes, committees can have reps on FinCom calls to discuss their budgets.

c) Question on policy regarding forwarding messages to NC discussion list which include solicitations for funds for other organizations. The general feeling was that we should not forward such messages, as their offers of merchandise or calls for funds compete with GPUS’s. It was decided that the secretary will forward such message to FundCom and let FundCom decide whether to have them sent on.

3) Campus Greens – Echo
Will know more when they have their conference call tomorrow night. Echo wants to conference with any of the legal team, if needed. She will talk with Katey Culver about this.

#250 – SC: National Committee Certification of 2006 Steering
adopted 12/4/06

#251 – SC: Proposal to Amend the Steering Committee PPs
adopted 12/4/06

#253 – AC: Affiliation Complaints Against GP-US
The option “No affiliation complaints” was adopted on 12/12/06
PROPOSAL: To accept the results from the report as the official result. (Due to an error, the posted results actually adopted all three of this proposal’s options, when only one could be selected. Manual tabulation easily confirms the actual result.)

#255 – SC: Approval of Gregg Jocoy GPSC as Forum Manager
Voting period through 12/17/06

#254 – SC, FinCom: 2007 Proposed Budget
Discussion extended through 12/20/06
Voting period: 12/21/06 – 12/27/06
Grage// 1/2
received, 12/4/06; DAC: Proposal for apportionment of delegates to the Green National Committee
DAC requested a 5 week discussion period. Some SC members thought this was a good idea. Others felt it would be better to go to a vote wit the usual timetable, and get a reading on the level of support; if voted down, it could be re-introduced with needed changes decided on by the DAC. The SC agreed to offer 4 weeks for discussion, noting that , since it will be a full week before the proposal goes up on the voting queue, anyway, essentially allowing for 5 more weeks’ worth of discussion time.
4 weeks discussion, 1 week vote
Hart// 2/3

a) Question on accepting voting page genie report for Proposal #253. APPROVED

b) Question on disposition of GPUT complaint against the GPUS. The NC vote on Proposal 253 determined that the AC doesn’t have jurisdiction over a complaint against GPUS. It was agreed that the SC will send a response to the GPUT and notify the NC. If the NC wishes to re-direct the matter to itself, possibly in consultation with appropriate committees for advice, that is an option. Jody will draft a letter and run it by the SC.

5) JOINT CALL proposed for those committees most involved with annual meetings/2008 nominating convention – AnmCom, PCSC, CCC, BAC, SC, Staff, BRPP
Jim – had tentatively planned a call for this week, but delayed that when proposal 114 was raised as a possible guide. Liz posted report from the 2005 national meeting, referred to in the proposal. The work in that proposal has run its course, and it was agreed that the current plan for a joint call should move forward. Jim will set up a call for Friday, 12/22. Liz recommended eventually looking over the 2005 report and using whatever people found useful.

Budd had to leave the call at this point.

6) CCC update – Holly
The CCC had openings for up to four men and two women. After a call went out for nominees, two men were nominated (Steve Herrick, WI; Norman ?, NJ). Both were initially interested, but stepped down due to time concerns. At this time, the CCC has decided to continue with their current membership until it’s time for another election next year, preferring to have members who are interested and want to work. In the meantime, if there is someone interested who would be a good candidate for membership on the CCC, the SC, hopefully in consultation with the CCC, may appoint him or her.

7) GPAX asks for endorsement of Jan 27-29, 2007, Peace March in DC. Jacqui Deveneau noticed that GPAX is listed as co-sponsor, but not GPUS. AGREED that Jody will forward Holly the UFPJ message. Holly will send notice of GPUS endorsements to UFPJ and Peace Action.

8) GPAX asks if we want to send a note of appreciation to Ted Glick and his colleague for their recent act of civil disobedience at/on the NOAA buildling.
AGREED that the SC will direct GPAX to send a note to them. Jody will write GPAX to let them know.

9) Fourth Anniversary march/lobby days – Echo Suggestion that we organize Green Lobby Days in conjunction with the fourth anniversary peace demos in Washington, DC. , sometime in March.

Many Greens will be going to this rally. Echo suggested SC take on some leadership. We spend time on administrative business, not party-building. Integrate a web campaign starting now, tell Greens we will be mobilizing in March, create a registration form. This would tag onto the national annual march; we would offer training and get Greens to lobby their Congresspersons. Steve described the lobby day and legislative agenda MD Greens have set up in Annapolis. Echo will send an outline to the SC.


INTERNAL- Steve – has been busy with holiday plans, but hopes to have some time during the next few weeks to look into his portfolio.

AnmCOM – Jody: 2 groups are bidding for 20007 national meeting; Reading, PA and Washington/Oregon (joint bid)

Outreach Committee will have a conference call
DivCom – still trying to get on the listserv; Rebecca Rotzler will try to get her on the list; DivCom is trying to recruit more members and take up the Black Caucus issue.

Secretary – updated Delegate welcome Message; reviewing proposal archives to find possible bylaws

NEXT CALL: Sunday, January 7, 2007, 8:00 p.m. ET


Holly Hart
Secretary, GPUS