December 27, 2015

GPUS Steering Committee Minutes

Sunday, December 27, 2015 – 8:00 p.m. ET

a) Facilitator: David Doonan
b) Call ref # 150
c) Present: Audrey Clement, Jan Martell, Andrea Merida, Charles Ostdiek, Jeff Turner, Tamar Yager, Karen Young, Bahram Zandi (Sanda still in Europe). Observing: Starlene Rankin.
d) Agenda revisions – Renewal of worldflower trademark added to New Business.


a) Report on online proposal & vote to extend discussion period for Prop 806 – Audrey. Proposal was defeated. The vote was 4-4 with one abstention.

a) Report on online proposal & vote to extend discussion period for Prop 806 – Audrey. Voting Yes: Audrey, Sanda, Karen, Bahram. No: Jan, Andrea, Jeff, Tamar. Abstain: Charles. Proposal was defeated.

b) Update on Apportionment rules and assignment of action items – Charles. Sent a list of links to relevant rules documents which outline procedures and responsibilities of ATC and SC re apportionment. Prop 644 spells out how NC apportionment is applied to PNC delegate apportionment, which is the responsibility of the ATC, and which is then sent to the NC. It is clear that in the absence of a new apportionment tabulation, the current NC apportionment remains valid for determining PNC apportionment. A proposal was made to direct the ATC to apportion PNC delegates according to the rules outlined in Prop 644 adopted 2/26/12, and based on the current NC apportionment. Passed by consensus. David Doonan agreed to update the website rules according to 644, and to fix a missing link to the spreadsheet for the last apportionment.

c) Endorsements contact position – Karen. Tabled, will be addressed at later meeting.


a) Treasurer’s Report – Jeff. Sent cash balance report – he has paid almost everything including Red Sun bill, still needs to pay last part of ANM reimbursement, leaving enough funds to meet payroll. Only thing outstanding are funds owed to reserves according to fundraising earmarks. Still a few days left, so maybe another $1-2k by end of the month/year.

b) Fundraising Report – Karen. $14,468 in December so far, a couple of major donors, no merch sales. Sustainers at 4,134. NC sustainer push – called all of CA and 50 others, calling has been tremendous but 5 NC volunteers were no-shows. More calling scheduled this week. Sent e-blasts to delegates & alts, another going out on the 29th with stats on the states and goals. 4 regular phone bankers calling lapsed sustainers, Tamar looking at previous major donors. Fundcom met, no new volunteers on the call. Expect first quarter 2016 to be tight. Key is new donors, need stronger messaging, brain trust to work on that, need success stories from states, specific results of elections/actions/petitioning.


In the queue:
a) 806 – 2016 Annual Budget Revised – will go to voting period 12-28.

Received for the queue:
a) Creation of Animal Rights Committee – Jan. Working with Mike DeRosa of CT to get into proposal format, haven’t heard back so will hold for next meeting.

a) Media Director job description – Andrea. Sent a first draft, great feedback. Second draft soon, check against previous versions, work with Scott on what’s doable. Should include volunteer coordination, esp. since it’s part-time. Go for the ideal, prioritize for half and full time, bring it back to the next meeting.
b) Brian received letter from law office of Ronald Citowski saying renewal of trademark registration for earth flower logo is due by Sept 26 but needs to be applied for by March 26 — RC wants $950 for this. It is still in use in some states and locals, and being a part of our history, we should retain rights to it. Audrey will get the letter from the office and check on the possibility of a reduced cost for this. Carried forward for later decision.


TOTAL TIME: 91 minutes

Jan Martell