December 28, 2008

GPUS-SC Conference Call
December 28, 2008
8:00 p.m. EST


Phil Huckelberry, Jill Bussiere, Sanda Everrett, Craig Thorsen, Budd Dickinson

Holly Hart

Jody Grage

Tamar Yager


Jason is away and not able to be on the call. Cliff was not on the call. Jill had to leave the call after an hour, just after discussion of Bacon’s List in the 2009 budget.

Abbreviations used:

AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group

[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]


I. STAFF REPORTS, if any (staff my be on vacation)

Fundraising- Tamar: Empower Fundraising going well. They are getting a good number of pledges on charge cards, which almost always guarantees payment.


$4K in general account. Pay before end of December, $12.8K We can well make that. Accounts payable for December into January is $31.6K; Earmarked funds are $28.7 K.


Notes on observer policy; review of plans for updating directory. Outgoing NC members are not automatically granted observer status. When a state delegation changes, they need to let the secretary know who are observers; default is that outgoing members will be unsubscribed. Starting next month, Holly will be contacting states to make sure their directory information is up to date. Del/alt info is 95-98% accurate; less so with observers; not reliable for other committee members.

1 – BRPP – Fiscal Policy – passage unclear. There is interest in amending some portions, whether it passes, or fails and is re-submitted.

2 – Green Pages – still in progress

3 – SC – 2009 Budget – Several delegates have posted comments, request for info or alternative plans. How should the SC take this up on the agenda?


Phil suggested extending the discussion period another week. There may be amendments still coming up until the last minute. Budd and Craig disagreed. Budd felt it would be good to know by the time of the SC face-to-face meeting whether it had passed or not. Craig felt it should go to a vote; if it fails, it will be clearer to know what to address.

Phil sent out an update to the fundraising plan; Jill added a few notes. SC will review online; Fin and FundComs will take up on their call tomorrow night.

Phil went over some suggested line item changes, mainly housekeeping. Question of cutting $1000 for campaign schools. Phil and Sanda felt this could removed for this year; Jody felt that something needed to be included, suggested $500. AGREED

Question of cutting $1900 for Bacon’s media guide. GPUS pays half; Adam Eidinger (DCSG) pays half. Holly recommended contacting Media Committee to see how critical this still may be. Some have found this very useful, some don’t use it at all. Jody asked for follow-up to see what alternatives there may be. Phil suggested changing line item to “media contact list,” which directs MC to find a cheaper way. Jill stated she is willing to call state parties, some of who use this list, to see if some would be willing to offer funds for this. Jill will follow up with MC and also contact state parties, if feasible.

Question of eliminating the 1/2-time office manager. Phil believes we need to make substantial cut. Jody, Budd and Sanda felt this should not be cut. Jody wanted more input from the GNC. Budd noted that we had planned to discuss this at the face-to-face meeting, and does not want to remove this item now. Sanda pointed out that we have paid a 1/4-time person who actually puts in about 1/2-time. Phil is concerned that we are setting ourselves up for the budget to fail, in which case this position will disappear anyway; also recommended getting more feedback from GNC.

Budd stated that the question of Merchandise being run through the national office could be in the same category; get GNC feedback on this, as well. General concern that most GNC are not aware how much is needed and done at the office. Jody will write up something to the GNC asking for feedback on 1/2-time office manager position and on merchandise programs and post to SC list.

Questions about items under travel and dues. Jody stated that we are not paying any dues and could strike that. Brent McMillan has paid nearly all travel expenses out of his own pocket. Jody will get more information as to what costs were involved and include in line item notes.

Question about amount paid for IT – what does the $150/mo. pay for, exactly? Phil will follow-up with Emily.

Postage and shipping that doesn’t have to do with fundraising or merchandise seemed high. Jody said some is related to fundraising. Phil will follow up with Emily.

Finance and Fundraising Committees meet tomorrow night, and will go over several of the proposals, including Marc Sanson’s.


1 – Table at DC event

2 – Green Alliance domain name. Steve Herrick has been paying for it. Do we want to use it, or should he drop it? General feeling was that this would not be of use to GPUS.


ED job description is approved. Sanda asked if the policy granting terminated staff one months’ severance pay is standard and if we have done this in the past. Jody replied that she had used the same contract we have been using, just changing the dates. Phil has been working on a draft of a message to the GNC to explain the staffing changes; this will be posted to the SC list, hoping for a 24-hour turnaround. 1/2-time Operations Director job description will be coming out this week.

Sunday, 1/4/09; 8:00 p.m. EST

To return to the Minutes Directory.

Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green