December 30, 2004

SC Call Notes — December 30, 2004

Greg Gerritt, Jody Haug, Gwen Wages, Jake Schneider, Maya O’Connor, Jo Chamberlain, Peggy Lewis, Gray Newman, Marc Sanson;
staff – Brent Macmillan, Emily Citkowski

Facilitator Jody, Timekeeper Marc, Notes Greg

Abbreviations used:
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

Published Agenda
2 hrs

5 min – facilitator, timer, note taker (Greg)

20 min – staff reports – Brent, Emily

30 min – FINANCE Portfolio (Jake, Marc): Finance, FundCom Green Card (Emily, Jody)

5 min – Ohio recount – Marc
5 min – Voting Queue – Budget Proposal, Fiscal Policy, CC definition; etc.
5 min – SC FTF meeting
5 min – GPUSA-FEC situation – Gray
10 min – Work Groups follow up
5 min – review Executive Session policy
5 min – 3 Jan rally

Portfolio reports:
5 min – ELECTORAL (Gray, Jo): CCC, Office Holder Network, PCSC, Legal Team
5 min – POLICY (Greg, Gwen): Platform, Peace, Intnl, DC, Strategic Plan
10 min – OUTREACH (Peggy): Media, Green Pages, Merchandise, Campus Greens
Anna Callahan, Chair of the Merchandise Committee?
Green Pages editorial board
5 min – INTERNAL (Maya): Personnel, Dispute Resolution; (Greg): BRPP New contracts to staff; Disruptive committee members proposal
5 min – INTERNAL (Jody): Accreditation, ComCom, Event Planning

Scheduled next call for Jan 14
Agenda review:
portfolio setup
coordinator listserv + 1/mo call
FundCom/Media plan for DIA

It was announced that GPUS had received a large donation and the treasurer and staff were working with the donor to make sure that it is put to the appropriate areas of work.

Staff report
Brent: Need to have a conversation with CCC leadership and SC about proper splitting of duties between fundraising and CCC business. Will need to track time spent more closely.
2005 data base for candidates is going up. Following up with 2004 candidates to make sure they send along donation lists. Also working to get all 2004 candidates into main data base.
SC asked Brent to start joining Fun Comm calls.

Other business, try to make sure we are up to date with receiving Cobb/LaMarche donor base, that list will be used for a prospect mailing after removing names that are already in our data base.

Need to get a handle on the latest results on calls to large donors from previous fundraising efforts.

Portfolio review

Finance Portfolio
Budget has generated little discussion on the lists.
Questions from a few CC members have been answered with a FAQ posting by Marc.

Need to create seed money for bulk mail program.

Voting queue
Budget and Fiscal policy start voting Monday Jan 3. Bylaw interpretation vote states Jan 10. Discussion for Haiti resolution starts Jan 3, Discussion on facilitation for annual meeting starts Jan 10, Jody will floor manage.

Gray will talk with legal team after the first of the year about trademark and service mark issues.

Greg will remind CC about working groups after the first of the year. 4 nominees for the groups so far. 3 for strategic plan, one for presidential.

Agreed to co sponsor Jan 3 and Jan 6 rallies on recounts. Expect Green speakers at both rallies.

Discussion of portfolio approach, is it working? Generally SC members felt that it gave us a better handle on what was going on in the various committees. Some committees we literally just monitor the email list, other committees SC members are more involved. Sometimes because SC member was involved with committee before becoming an SC member and just stayed on the committee, sometimes because when a committee experiences troubles the SC member monitoring tries to work to help the committee move forward. Discussion will be continued.

Set up a list and regular conference calls for committee co chairs so that cross committee work can be coordinated?? SC agreed to try to move this forward. Peggy is taking the lead on this.

Portfolio review (continued)

Outreach Portfolio
Not sure what is going on with merchandising committee, chair is not answering mail.
Green Pages committee is engaged in discussion about how to get work done in the face of disruptive committee members. They are having many conversations about how to do it and talking to state party of disruptive members.

ALL committees are encouraged to finish their policies and procedures documents so as to have better process in place so that they do not get bogged down in process disputes. BRPP does have a template in place that committees can use. SC agreed to support Green Pages editorial board in its actions dealing with disruptions. If the state party of the disrupter wants to discuss this, the SC is happy to hold a discussion with them. Some discussion about the nature of the pyscho-sociological implications for the Green Party of state parties sending people to committees who really are not capable of truly collaborative work in an on line environment.
When one committee member’s actions are causing entire committees to stop working, we need to take action to stop the one from causing the many to quit.

Electoral Portfolio
Legal team is developing, PCSC is starting to think about 2008, but with working group coming on line soon, they are sort of in wait mode. Office holders are slowly putting network back together. Some discussion about how state and local parties could support local office holders better.

Policy Portfolio
Peace committee, when a few members are not spewing venom, is working on Jan 20 events. Platcom wants to be on the next agenda for a discussion.

Internal portfolio
Personnel committee is being put back to together by Maya. Need to finish new job descriptions and employment contracts. Need a description of direct mail job. Trying to arrange scheduling of exit interview with Kara.

DRC is getting ready to hold elections for co chairs.

Accreditation Committee is looking at applications from MT and OK and will be looking into VT situation.

ANMC has sent out a call for state and local parties willing to host in 2005. Hope to have a location and date nailed down by March.

Office Report
Data base and income reporting taking up most of work time.

Green Unity card will take about $450.00 to get program running. Overhead should be about $6.00 per person, GPUS and state parties will evenly split the proceeds. Full proposal should be coming to SC soon.

Adjourn 9:10 PM
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green