SC Call Notes — January 28, 2005
SC: Marc, Maya, Jo, Gray, Jake, Peggy, Jody
Staff: Brent, Emily
Facilitator – Jake/Jo; Timer – Peggy; Note taker – Peggy/Marc
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]
CCC – Jen Walling (IL) has been spearheading an effort to break up the Resources Application in order to make it easier for candidates to request specific resources. Susan Fawcett (MI) has been working on compiling the results of the candidate questionnaires that were sent out after the election.
BAWG/PCSC – The PCSC has decided to focus on ballot access for this year and will be teaming up with BAWG in this effort. Starlene Rankin (CA) is planning on attending the CCC call on Sunday as a liaison from PCSC.
Fundraising – The January mailing has gone to print. The mail drop will probably be after the 31st. The February mailing will be about 600 contacts. It is to candidates and their donors who haven’t contributed to the national party before. I am working on several possible large donors. I am working to compile proposals as a tool for fundraising.
Working on computer issues with code weavers group and DIA web plan with Marc. Developing platform summary with the Platform Committee. Working on new GP flyer and supervising new intern for graphic design. Completing GP card-design and appearance. Reported delays in t-shirt shipping and problems with office phone.
SC decided to open SC calls to no more than 5 observers on each call. CC delegates and alternates can observe the call by contacting the SC at least 24 hours in advance, on a first come, first served basis. Delegates and alternates who have never observed call will receive priority over those who have. Observers will be provided with a call number and access code, which they will be advised not to share. Observers may observe only and may not participate or ask questions during the call, unless they have specifically requested to be added to the agenda in advance. A separate call number shall be reserved by the SC for executive session discussions.
Supervision of Staff:
Staff supervisors will work with Maya to develop personnel policies for supervision of staff.
Marc reported that the ad-hoc DIA group (Emily, Marc, Doug Malkan, Jeff Turner) is making progress identifying the Green Party’s needs to be addressed by DIA and potential solutions. The group is developing a comprehensive web plan and proposed description for a DIA/Web coordinator.
Emily reported that progress is being made on the Green Card application and design. Working on printing quotes from union printers.
Jake pointed out the most recent treasurer’s report and reported that GPUS is meeting current obligations and increasing the reserve fund.
No new action to report.
Voting Queue – Haiti, Facilitator proposals:
Voting continues on both proposals. No voting queue problems reported.
SC terms of service:
MD and CA are submitting a proposal clarifying the terms of service. BRPP is considering submitting two conflicting proposals clarifying terms of service. Jody will ask BRPP to send one clean proposal as conflicting proposals has caused voting queue problems in the past.
Emily will get quotes on business cards for Staff and SC meetings. SC will discuss the quotes and purchase of business cards at the next meeting.
Suggestion has been made to create a secretariat position to assist the GPUS Secretary. SC will discuss next meeting.
SC Face-to-Face meeting:
The SC is considering a Face-to-Face meeting this Spring to discuss Annual Meeting, Committee expenditure proposals and meet with David Cobb. SC will discuss the face-to-face meeting and possible dates on the next call.
GPUSA-FEC situation; trademark/service mark:
Gray is working with Ron Citkowski, Attorney at Law to service mark the Green Party name and trademark the Green Party logo. Attorney and firm have offered to work pro-bono. Applications fees will be $380 for each application. The SC approved becoming a pro-bono client of the law firm of Gifford, Krass, Groh, Sprinkle, Anderson & Citkowski, P.C.. The SC approved allowing Gray to sign the necessary forms to become a client. The SC approved $380 to apply for a service mark for the name “Green Party of the United States”.
Working Groups follow up:
Greg has posted the nominations and appointments for the Nominating Process and Strategic Planning working groups. Marc will work with Greg to get final notification of nomination and appointments to the SC. Marc will manage getting an announcement approved by the SC and posted to the CC next week.
Review Executive Session policy:
Coordinator listserv progress:
Peggy will continue working with Cameron to coordinate listservs.
Portfolio review (continued)
Jo reported that the CCC is currently working on new ideas and plans for 2005. SC is encouraging CCC, BAWG and PCSC to submit funding proposals. CCC has no immediate funding proposals for candidates, but is accepting proposals from candidates for local office.
Office Holder Network Gray reported that the Office Holder Network is growing and becoming more active.
PCSC Marc reported that the PCSC is meeting again and working to clarify its membership, mission and Policy & Procedures. PCSC continuing to contact old members to encourage activity and posting announcements for new members to the CC. PCSC plans to elect co-chairs at March meeting. PCSC plans to work with CCC to revive ballot access efforts in the short term and develop electoral funding proposals.
No Reports for the Platform, Peace, International, or Diversity Committees.
Green Pages Editorial Board
Peggy reported Green Pages working with New York to settle dispute over committee member. Creating new design for Green Pages.
Ad-Hoc Merchandise Committee
Peggy reported Merchandise committee is being reenergized with new members and is discussing ideas for new merchandise. SC confirmed that the earth flower logo is the current logo and approved $380 to copyright the logo.
Peggy reported Campus Greens is restructuring their Steering Committee. Campus Greens are concerned about maintaining gender balance on the CG SC.
Dispute Resolution Committee
Maya reported that the Dispute Resolution committee having elections for co-chairs The DRC has announced to the CC that they are ready to take cases and have provided the process and application.
The SC has asked Maya and the personnel committee will begin working on personnel policies to supervise full time and contract employees. Current supervisors of GPUS employees are encouraged to help in that effort.
BRPP Committee – P&P progress
Jody reported that AC is currently working on the accreditation of Oklahoma and Montana. AC is awaiting an official complaint from a member in Hawaii. The Vermont accreditation and ballot issue is next on AC’s agenda.
Discussing spinning off an IT group to handle technical issues.
Event Planning Committee
Meeting every two weeks. Collecting proposal for Annual Meeting. Has received one firm proposal from LA, and possible actions from Maine and Washington.
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green