SC Call Notes — January 29, 2004
SC members: Jo Chamberlain, Jake Schneider, Marnie Glickman, Ben Manski, Greg Gerritt, Alan Kobrin
Staff: Emily Citkowski, Kara Mullen
Jeff Turner on for discussion of Finances/budget
Facilitator Marnie Glickman
Timekeeper Jake Schneider
Note taker Greg Gerritt
AFT = American Federation of Teachers
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
GW = George Washington University
IC = International Committee
ICA = Institute for Cultural Affairs
LC = Lavender Caucus
LG = Lavender Greens
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]
Agenda Review, set Facilitator, timekeeper
OLD BUSINESS AND REPORTS
Welcome, introductions 5 minutes
Finances 15 minutes
Office Report 15 minutes
Convention (registration, rules, credentials, …..) 15 minutes
Sierra Club meeting follow up 10 minutes
Voting Queue 20 minutes
Media Committee rules
Voter Confidence Act support
Anne’s resignation 10 minutes
supervising personnel 20 minutes
Jake: $1540 in today, $13,100 in bank. With no budget in place, the SC needs to be votng on every expenditure. Jake is not getting regular responses from several SC members, which delays paying regular bills.
Expenditures approved on the call:
Previously approved computer and monitor for office $1290 + $115. Need now.
Mail out Green pages
State revenue sharing
Rent, Payroll, Insurance
Recent resolicitation mailing is too recent to be able to figure out what it wil bring in. But seems pretty good.
Emily: Trying to figure out how to get proper reports based on the new database. Wil be worked out soon. Kara and Emily wil coordinate. Also getting in some money from other solicitations, including phone calls. Emily will start sending out deposit reports.
Emily: Started working on a new brochure to mail out to inquiries that come into the office. SC members requested to see drafts as it goes.
Ben: Real progress, committee has come together, Ruth Weill is taking charge of most WI coordination and bringing in volunteers. Other members are coordinating speakers. floor rule development has a working group with BRPP members and PCSC members involved.
Agreed that there should be transferrable bulk registrations for state parties. The state parties can register early, providing up front money. 44 in hand. CA sending in 132 registrations this week. RI just sent in money for its 10 delegate slots. So nearly 200 registrations are in the works. Discussions going on with state parties concerned about filling out their delegations.
Website is regularly updated, scholarship fund established with place on website to contribute to it. ANM committee is delaying signing contracts for venues; trying to get a better picture about how big the convention will be. Hope to hire staff coordinator for convention by April 1.
Follow up by Ben with Doug LaFollette of Sierra Club to the previous conference call. Ben will get back to Sierra to set up the next call to continue to work on developing the relationship. Probably will discuss down the ticket electoral races. Other issues will be accumulated for agenda as well.
Sierra and AFL have asked to have panelists in workshops at the convention.
Fundraising plan: Voting ends Friday, had a few voting page glitches that effected voting, but they seem to be worked out. Already has met quorum, so it will pass.
Budget: Will go to the voting queue Monday. Ben will floor manage. 2 weeks discussion, then one week vote. Budget has been completely overhauled based on discussion that has occurred already and questions from delegates. Jeff Turner pointed out work is already gearing up for mid term budget to be voted on in June at the CC meeting and also the ’05 budget.
Office Holders: Vote is delayed until Office Holders figure out their internal responses to questions that have come up in the discussion. Once Office Holders task force responds then discussion will pick back up. Greg will provide the SC with an outline of where this proposal is in its process and potential amending.
Voter confidence endorsement: Marnie will follow up with CO asnd WA delegations to ask if they need a vote or would [they] just accept SC endorsing it and reporting that to the organizatons asking for our endorsement. No one believed that there would be any opposition to endorsing the current campaign how ballots ought to be voter verified.
Media committee rules: Another of the committees fulfilling the obligation to bring their internal policies and procedures to the CC for review/approval. Greg will floor manage a 2 week discussion period followed by a vote.
Anne Goeke’s resignation as co chair of International committee. Several SC members will follow up with her by phone.
How to supervise personnel: The issue rises up now as our staff grows. Greg and Ben will set up regular conference calls with Emily to keep everyone on track. Greg and Marnie will (in their role as members of personnel committee) set up regular conference calls with all staff/consultants (8 right now) to discuss personnel issues and to help them coordinate their work.
Other personnel committee issues: We shall go through the CC list looking for individuals to recruit for the committee. Committee has to focus on rules and to reconsider efforts on coordinating staff.
Other stuff at the end of the agenda
Ben reported that AFT in WI not only endorsed candidates in Democratic primary, also made endorsements in Green Primary. (Cobb was endorsed in Green Primary in WI by AFT)
Discussed the idea of an in person SC meeting in DC soon; Marnie shall begin efforts to find a date we can meet.
Call ended at 10:48 PM
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green