January 4, 2009

GPUS-SC Conference Call
January 4, 2009
8:00 p.m. EST


Jason Nabewaniec, Jill Bussiere, Sanda Everrett, Phil Huckelberry, Budd Dickinson, Craig Thorsen

Holly Hart

Jody Grage

Tamar Yager, Brent McMillan

Cliff Thornton is not able to be on the call; due to a family health issue, he has not been able to be on the last few calls.

Brian Bittner


Abbreviations used:
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group

[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]




Brent sent out a report today: We currently have 57 candidates identified for 2009, good number this early in the election season. Many are incumbents running for reelections. Current number of officeholders is now 156. A number didn’t run for re-election in 2008. There are a few notices of new candidates now appearing.

The report also includes information about office schedules, to give readers an idea of what is being done in the office and when it is staffed.

Brent will attend meeting of Association of Small Foundations on January 14th.

Brent noted that Co-op America has now changed their name to Green America; possibly, this may cause some confusion.

Deposit from the trust fund has come in; other deposits have been made, current pace of income is good. Brent will be contacting some large donors who are eligible to donate again.

Brent spoke with Joseph McCormick about speaking at the SC strategic retreat. He is one of the organizers for the American Citizens Summit. Back-up speaker will be Michael Ostrolink.


Rough estimate that direct mail pulled about $5500, better than expected; Empower about $10,000. She will be working on two things this week: 1) looking at the way we code what comes in and making recommendations so we can see where funds are coming from in better detail; 2) almost done cleaning up candidate list. Will talk to Empower this week on prospects, they will start to run out of re-solicition numbers late this month or early next month. Prospects are usually, at best, break-even. Empower has prospect lists they will use.


Emily is now working half-time. She will work full days two days of the week, and a half day on Fridays.


Jody sent out a cash flow report today. Jody has heard from two states that may forgive their state sharing funds.


2009 Budget is in the discussion phase, and will go up for a vote on January 9th.

BRPP continues to work on a fiscal policy; The NWC is working on a proposal to clarify the status of caucuses. Jody asked if BRPP would not be coming out with a fiscal policy until the next of the month, to give Fin and FundComs a chance to review and work on this. They plan to send BRPP a letter thanking them for their efforts.

Bylaws/Rules update status. Review is complete, a list of what is updated, with proposal #’s and dates approved, is complied, and an updated document

PROPOSAL, Holly: That the SC directs BRPP to take up their internal work rules as their next item of business. Craig, whose portfolio includes BRPP, will make that request. AGREED by consensus.

IV. MISC. – have we come to conclusions on these items?

1 – Table at DC event. Decided not to do that.

2 – Green Alliance domain name. Steve Herrick has been paying for it. Do we want to use it, or should he drop it? General feeling was that this would not be of use to GPUS. Decided not to purchase the domain name.

3 – Join Single-Payer Health coalition. Fee is $100/year. GPUS has been invited to an upcoming meeting. AGREED to send someone to the meeting; also find out what membership entails. Emily will ask Scott McLarty if he can go; if he cannot, Tamar offered to go.

4 – Decision-making process hasn’t been clear. It’s had to follow what work is being done, who is doing it, what the process is for signing off, etc. Needs clarity.

V. Face-to-Face, if needed, a facilitator has been lined up. The Saturday and Sunday meetings have been set up, will run from 9a – 6p. Plans are now being made for Monday.

Contingency plan – what happens if the weather is bad and some can’t travel? Jody will be bringing a “professional grade” speaker phone. Holly suggested Skype as another possibility.


a. Fundraising Narrative/Plan – This needs to be uploaded, and the new version reported to the NC.

b. Revised budget per decisions of Dec. 28 – This needs to be uploaded if it wasn’t, but shouldn’t be uploaded until the Executive Director note is sent.


Discussion of income devised from Events, whether to go with no-cost events, etc.

Media list – Jill checked with a few states and individuals who are willing to chip in something for Bacon’s Media List, which Media Committee uses. However, Jane Hunter is willing to take our current list, work on lists for and from state parties, and drop this item for this year. This list is critical in a Presidential election year, and helpful in other years but not critical. The line item will be kept, with $0 allocated. Keep the line item, but set it at $0. If circumstances warrant, we can add funds to this line item next fall when payment comes due.

Green Pages budget will be left as is, for now; they have not yet sent a proposal; Rent down to $20K. State sharing revenues at $17.5K

SC will send a note to the GNC thanking those who responded to Sanda’s request for input; SC will take feedback under advisement at the upcoming face-to-face. Feedback indicates that staffing levels are sufficient to inadequate; there is not support for cutting staffing levels proposed in 2009 budget.; and staff time working on merchandise is not a good use of staff time. Jason pointed out that most of this work is done by volunteers and unpaid interns.

To Go: Budget iteration, revised fundraising plan, background, line item notes to web manager (Jody and Phil); summary of changes in budget and supporting documents. (Jody and Budd) to GNC; message regarding feedback to GNC (Jill). We will inform the GNC that new changes are now on the web, inform GNC of what changes are.


ED job description was approved on the last (12/28/08) call.

a. Note to NC on Executive Director has been sent to GNC.

b. Contracts w/ Job Descriptions – Jody has circulated; these are to be voted on Sunday night: Media Coordinator, Web Manager, Accountant PROPOSAL, Holly: To approve contracts. AGREED, by consensus

c. Operations Director Job Description – Jody working on revision

Phil suggested we wait until the face-to-face meeting to make a decision on approval, as there have been a number of changes.

d. Office Manager Job Description – will come after OD description.

e. Fundraising Manager Job Description – to be done later.

1/4/09 – HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Holly Hart
Secretary, GPUS

Sunday, January 11, 2009; 8:00 p.m. EST

To return to the Minutes Directory.

Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green