July 1, 2005

SC Call Notes — 1 July 2005

Maya O’Connor, Jo Chamberlain, Peggy Lewis, Steve Kramer, Gwen Wages, Greg Gerritt, Marc Sanson, Jake Schneider, Jody Haug
Staff Brent McMillan

Facilitator Jake, Time Marc, Notes Greg

Abbreviations used:
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

Published Agenda
Due to summer craziness no agenda circulated in advance.

Agreed to hit the usual topics with an extra focus on the Tulsa meeting and voting queue.

Staff reports
Office Holders met in Madison WI recently, Office holders email list is growing. New Office Holder is David Lanman elected Mayor of Marfa Texas. Ballot access. LA GP has the signatures they need for BA, but need filing fee. May be looking for some assistance with fee.

Strategic Planning WG survey is being analyzed. Over 600 people responded.

Brent went to Election Reform hearings in TX this week. Turned in testimony, met and talked to some of the members of the panel and made connections that will be followed up on. David Cobb testified at the alternative hearing the day before and was interviewed in the media including NPR. One thing was admitted is that HAVA has been a failure and has not helped increase voting.

Voting Queue:
4 being voted on now, some moving into voting phase.
152 from VT and FL. Fin Comm and Fund comm have serious objections but will respond as discussion

New proposals.
Kyoto from IC One week discussion, then vote. Greg will floor manage
Creation of Ballot Access committee One week discussion then vote. Jody will floor manage
Proxy voting One week discussion. Marc will floor manage
NY proposals. SC is unsure from reading the proposals how NY wants them handled. Jody will talk to NY and ask. Jody will floor manage them if they go on the voting queue. If the go up, 3 weeks of discussion.

The PNP-WG has been debating a proposal by Owen Broadhurst which would allow delegates to vote on not only the Presidential nomination, but the floor rules and the platform

Long discussion about how to set up agenda in Tulsa. Jody will take extensive notes and publish those for review. Highlights. Reports from every state party and caucus over the course of 3 sessions. 5 minutes max for each state. 15 minutes on Friday afternoon for White Privilege , Asa Gordon and left out tour. Saturday morning there will be some time for all delegates to meet with committees and think about joining. Saturday afternoon will include nominations for SC and CCC followed by speeches by candidates, then working group reports and discussion of NY proposals. elections will be Sunday morning.

Greg will send note to NC reminding them of various things such as getting reports in asap. Discussed how to conduct roll calls. Table space is available, need to work with ANMC to make sure this is taken care of.

Discussed how SC fees for meeting will be covered.

Portfolio review

Finance Portfolio
June was one of the best direct mail months ever.
Morgen has started on the sustainer program. Fin comm is working on P%P documents for presentation to NC.

Electoral Portfolio
CCC is getting applications for matching funds. Trying to get a campaign school in TX this year.

Policy Portfolio
Discussed black caucus. While it would be nice to help the caucus figure out how to get through its hard times, but it seems unlikely that anyone other than the Black Caucus can fix their problems unless they ask for help.

Outreach Portfolio
Merchandise committee has lots of new products for Tulsa. Campus Greens continue to make progress reorganizing themselves. SC continues to offer assistance and hold conference calls with them.

Internal portfolio
AC is looking at one complaint, but only looks at complaints that are actually filed. Lots of folks say they will file, few do.
Discussed lists and harassment on lists. Looking for guidelines on harassment, rudeness, etc. There are some things that go on on lists that may leave us vulnerable legally. When the SC reconvenes this has to be a priority as does revitalizing the personnel committee. Steve is willing to help move this forward after the meeting.

Annual meeting:
SC will make sure that Peace keepers are trained for Tulsa meeting.

Next call will be next week and weekly until Tulsa meeting.

Adjourned at 9:30 PM EDT
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green