March 13, 2006
GPUS-SC Conference Call
13 March 2006
9:00 p.m. EDT
Jake Schneider, Holly Hart, Budd Dickinson, Jody Haug, Marc Sanson, Pat LaMarche, Steve Kramer, Brent McMmillan, Emily Citkowski, Rebecca Rotzler
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]
I. STAFF REPORTS
i. Left from last meeting: CCC blog is up, linked to CCC page, will probably do a notice to NC when CCC is ready to make it more formal and ask webmanager create a link on homepage to promote.
-CCC voted to ask that CCC co-chairs have administrative access to the blog; reasons given, can only post comments but not topics, at this point. NO DECISION TAKEN.
ii. Discussed establishing political intern at nat’l office, talked about duties; should have draft by Sunday.
There are now 194 Green candidates, an increase of 17 this week. More are coming. Maine filing deadline is Wednesday, quite a few more will be added. Cumberland County alone is running 15 that we know of – possibly as many as 30.
Attended two conferences:
Politics Online – Brent was one of the speakers, presenting on “Grassroots vs. Astroturf Organizing.” Emi Ireland was another presenter. She spoke about the Ohio recount and the current LaMarche gubernatorial campaign.
Also attended the Marketplace of Democracy Conference at Cato Institute. Brent is putting extensive notes into a report; conference covered a lot of studies involving competitiveness in Congressional elections, impacts of various reforms (that did nor did not happen).
CCC made decisions on who they would like to see funding go to, and sent request to Jake and Marc, to go to Finance Cmte. $700 would be spread out over 4 campaigns.
CCC Blog – there were concerns over people other than staff having administrative access. CCC co-chairs are willing to work with the system as is. If they decide it’s not workable, we will find new location for CCC blog where co-chairs can have administrative access.
Office Intern – Brent wrote up an Intern job description; Rob Tuffts is adding to it; should have job description we can use. Emily and Brent working to prepare a place for another work station.
Brent today received an invitation for Fetzer Institute’s “Reuniting America Retreat” in Michigan in May. The purpose of this conference is to break down the hostility taking place in American political dialogue, create a more civil way of discourse. 24 people were invited to take part. Institute pays for lodging and food, Brent would need transportation (ca. $200). Impressive list of former and current participants, worth having GPUS represented.
PROPOSAL, Jake – To approve travel expense up to $200 for Brent to attend
Fetzer Institute conference.
First returns from February re-solicitation came in today, sooner than expected. Bent has made a commitment for T-W-Th evenings each night of this month for calls. Today’s report reflects increased activity.
Working on prospect mailing to go out later this month.
C. OFFICE – Emily
Sent out work report for February, and sent earlier in the month to Jody and Steve. Staff check-in calls, which happened last week. Would like to send this out monthly. Emily asked for feedback on whether this is a good idea, and if so, what we would like to have included.
Steve has discussed with staff the possibility of periodic staff meetings.
Trademarks: Emily just sent out a report concerning legal advice on the logo and GPUS name. We are not sure who designed the logo. Emily will track down more on getting trademark copyright, possibly archives in merchandise or finance, and whether the designer can be determined.
Steve has had preliminary talks in terms of policy with a group called Downhill Battle, and can ask them for their opinions on copyrights and trademarks and how we might go ahead and take a stance more fitting with copyright reform.
Jody suggested Emily continue the conversation on this. AGREED.
II. TREASURER’S REPORT – Jake
1) Transferred remaining funds in reserve account from Sovereign Bank to new account at Sun Trust, and will close Sovereign account. Getting ready to setup online contributions on the web as a third, separate account.
GPUS will have 3 accounts: reserve, checking and online contributions.
2) On CCC requests: FinCom meets 3/27, need checks by the 3/15.
PROPOSAL, Jake: That the SC signs off tonight on CCC request.
Marc – concern, we have $956 available, and will now approve $900 in expenditures. Do we know of anything else coming in in the short term?
Brent – about $1000 in pledges, is willng to pay travel to Institute out of pocket if needed.
Jake – travel is not ’til May.
3) State sharing will go out at the end of March, won’t leave much in reserve: about $17,000 if all is paid out.
III. SC CO-CHAIR ELECTIONS WORKING GROUP – Steve
In our last call, it was decided to ask WG to submit, in writing, a revised timeline, progress report, and confirmation of their participation from each member, to the SC by Friday, March 10. Steve has sent notice to the WK email list. Eric Prindle has resigned, citing timing concerns. Steve suggested trying to figure out if the group could be kept together in some form. Phil Huckelberry suggested a proposal for keeping the group together and adding BRPP co-chair Hugh Esco. Steve recommends either adopting Phil’s suggestion or passing this to BRPP.
Holly – Lynne Serpe has moved and taken a new job, effectively resigned. Reminder: part of this proposal was to consult an outside group, so there may be a concern with relying entirely on BRPP (in house). BRPP already come up with proposal codifyng what is already there, and Hugh Esco had contacted and had some discussion with WK.
Marc – two most vital things: clarifying current language; codifying creation of elections team.
1) Let the Working Group sunset.
2) Ask BRPP to expedite proposal they are working on to clarify current election process, and get to teh SC to us in 2 weeks for the next call.
3) SC will create a proposal to create elections team.
Rebecca – not comfortable sunsetting, would not be comfortable going against the NC.
Jake – has reservations about the SC doing any work on this; rather, announce this to the NC and if we don’t get folks from NC, then the SC will go forward with this
Marc – proposal gave SC authority to select WG members, along with responsibility for overseeing, which we fell down on. We would have to come up with another proposal re-constituting this WG. It is our responsibility to make sure we have valid elections this summer.
Budd – we need to take some responsibility, make sure to explain to the NC what the situation is.
Holly – thought the proposal passed by the NC directed SC to carry this out.
Rebecca – No
Marc – Yes
Jody – Yes
Budd – Yes
Holly – Yes
Steve – Yes
Jake – Yes
Action to be taken:
Marc will put forward first draft of proposal.
Steve will contact current WG and let them know it’s sunsetted.
Holly will contact BRPP.
PROPOSAL, Jody: That current Working Group members and observers Jonathon Lundell, Phil Huckelberry, Roger Sndyer, and BRPP co-chair Hugh be included in elections team.
Discussion confirming that the proposal already had a sunset clause, and that the SC had extended it once already. It automatically expired today. The SC must grant another extension if the group is to continue.
Marc – we haven’t come up with a proposal to establish an elections team, yet. Members will have to be someone committed to being in Tuscon this summer. This should be in place by the time nominations start, in about two months. SC administers elections, but bylaws do not state how – this needs to be ironed out. Last year NC objected to SC’s appointing team.
Jody withdraws proposal. Steve is interested in re-visiting it. TABELD.
IV. VOTING QUEUE – Holly
#209 – SC: Delay DAC Election and Amendment of Proposal #175 to Include GPUS Caucuses
#207 – SC: Policy for State Party and Local Chapter Use of GPUS Earthflower Logo, amended (will know result by 3/13/06)
#208 – SC: Delegate Apportionment Committee Election
Voting period: 3/13/06 – 3/19/06
Haug// STV election for 8 seats
#210- 214 – SC: Proposal to remove Jody, Marc, Gwen, Holly, Jake from the SC
Voting period: 3/13/06 – 3/19/06
Kramer// 2/3 (= “YES” votes to remove)
#215 – PCSC: GPUS Presidential Campaign Support Committee PCSC Mission and Objectives
Discussion through 3/26/06
Voting period: 3/27/06 – 4/02/06
#216 – GPs of ILL/RI/WI: Proposed Bylaws Amendment – Steering Committee Recall
Discussion through 3/26/06
Voting period: 3/27/06 – 4/2-06
**Dickinson was original floor manager, but “not in voting queue page,” voting page crew will amend.
RECEIVED for VOTING QUEUE
received, 3/11/06, from GPMN: Proposal for GPUS SC Open Meeting Policy
2 weeks discussion, 1 week vote
Floor manager: Schneider// 2/3
Holly will send request to GPMN to clarify what resources will be needed for implementation.
V. GPUS Committee accountability and activity – Marc
VI. OLD BUSINESS
1) Black Caucus Update
Jody spoke with Gwen. Topic also came up on AC call last night. Gwen will talk to the AC about work she has done on this.
VIII. NEW BUSINESS – Jake
Proposals on Proposals adopted in October, 200l, and March, 2002.
Jake will send to SC list both proposals. Unclear whether proposals were addressed as bylaws or rules/procedures.
SC will send explanation to NC that updates weren’t done in the past.
Holly – there had been a suggestion that the secretary and BRPP go through back proposals and update as needed.
If updates are clear, they can be incorporated. Where language or placement is unclear, may need to come up with new language to propose.
TO BE CONTINUED on Next Call…..
NEXT CALL: MARCH 27, 2006, 9:00 p.m. ET
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green