March 23, 2014

GPUS Steering Committee Meeting Minutes – March 23, 2014


a) Facilitator – David Doonan

b) Roll Call – Budd Dickinson, Tamar Yager, Kate Culver, Jeff Turner, Jesse Townley, Starlene Rankin, Karen Young
Absent – Darryl! Moch, Charles Ostdiek
Observer – Jody Grage

II. Old Business

a) Forum Project – SR has drafted a proposal for SC and NC approval.

Jesse – details about who enrolled and troubleshooters can be added later; suggests trial period to allow for rejection and return to email format that would ease people’s minds. Clarified that the bandwidth of threads on this type of forum is not too much more than e-mail because not all posts in a thread are shown unless it’s a thread that’s less than 10 messages long. Also, files can be uploaded to a separate section of the forum and are not automatically downloaded to a viewer’s computer.

Kate – include list of forum advantages and disadvantages.

Karen – There is a question about how to determine if NC wants to go forward with Forum or not?

Budd – do we have volunteer troubleshooters and how many do we need? Can we have both systems during transition period? What is the time frame?

Tamar – We have nothing specific to vote on. Returning to current system would require a proposal; Basil’s questions need answering.

Kate – Will there be loss of info if we return to email system?

Jeff – mandatory to have email notice that there is something new posted to forum if content isn’t in email.

Starlene – in response to Jeff, click on download button as in Wiggio.

David – will check to see if email and forum can coexist. You can sign up to get an email when something is posted on a particular thread.

Karen – probably good to have date for trial period. Action item – that SC members email questions and suggestions. We will vote on proposal next time.

b) Rebranding Proposal – Decision Item – KY

RFP responses posted and sent. Outreach recommends hiring O’Kelly Design; 50% or $1500 up front and remainder due upon completion; revisit if 15% or $300 over. June 16 final delivery or July 1 if necessary. may be $700 -$1000 for fonts – discussion of choosing and buying fonts; discussion of copyright issues. Staff should be in decision group.

Consensus with contract to be sent with 72 hours to comment/object.

c) Mission Statement

48 versions. Much discussion on both lists. Any state/caucus can write proposal,

III. Standing Business

a) Treasurer’s Report – JT

The Treasurer reported total funds of about $26,000 in the bank, $20,000 of which is for earmarked funds and one month’s overhead costs. We are in the middle of the current quarterly fundraising mailer returns. This will be building the cash balance over the next couple of weeks. There were no other matters of finance discussed.

b) Fundraising Report – TY

David report in – much work on Global Greens (with videos) and Keystone; can be on calls to talk about report if/when wanted; donation under $100 and $100-$500 down from last year – though this may be explained by some carryover from fundraising letter into early 2013.


In the queue: None

Received for the queue: CCC Election (5 candidates for 10 seats) – floor manager Tamar, 2 week discussion.

d) Liaison Reports Discussion: See Wiggio

Platform – Gun control – IA, Net Neutrality – IA; Middle East – HI; EcoAction working on Sustainability; animal rights may be coming; CA may have one or more; April 1 deadline – schedule was stated at Iowa ANM.

IV. New Business – None

Next call: 13 April (in 3 weeks)

Budd Dickinson