May 22, 2006

GPUS-SC Conference Call
22 May 2006
9:00 p.m. ET

Jake Schneider, Holly Hart, Budd Dickinson, Jody Grage, Steve Kramer, Rebecca Rotzler, Emily Citkowski, Pat LaMarche, Marc Sanson, Gwen Wages

Facilitator: Jake

Abbreviations used:
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

Operations Director – Emily
A. PROPOSAL (Jake): That GPUS endorse the TASSC (International Torture Support Coalition) “Int’l Torture Awareness Month in June.” TASSC is looking for organizational endorsements and individuals to sign on to a 24 hour fast.


Emily will contact them to let them know of our endorsement. The secretary will send out announcement with schedule to NC list.

B. Use of Action Alert to call for help with ballot access petitioning.

GPTX asked to send out an Action Alert for help with ballot petitioning. The office will send out an Action Alert to all their addresses in TX and bordering states. In the future, this will be available to any state that requests it for help with ballot access. Requests will go through the BAC. BAC would provide copy for the alert. Will also ask for requesting states’ email list for one-time list to include in the blast, if they wish.

C. AnmCom – national meeting registration page. Web designers are still working on invoice page. Webpage should be ready to go live Wednesday morning.

Webpage designers added a link to their company. We do not link to DIA or our webmaster; we do have a link to Abigail Smith (web page designer).

Rebecca/Jody – note that the ad will come down in August. At that time, we can take a look at this situation and establish some form of policy to handle this issue in the future.

Weekly report sent to SC list. Deposit to U-AZ on May 30th.

III. BLACK CAUCUS Black Caucus co-chairs were asked to be on this call. None called in.

Rebecca stated that a currently recognized BC officer has acknowledged the DivCom concern regarding their status and would contact another officer to discuss.

AGREED that this concern needs to be taken beyond the BC, to address accountability for all committees and caucuses and include all committees that are non-functioning. Gwen will look into getting members of the BC to sponsor and/or get the NC to endorse this.

PROPOSAL (Jake): per request by the GPWI, that GPUS get a table and include fee for merchandise sales, for a total of $82. The event will be held in Milwaukee in July.


DivCom has created a “Scholarship Committee” subcommittee. The subcommittee is currently adding items to the current waiver form draft, which should be ready soon.

A. Concerns were raised during the last two days about deadline for current vote on #221 (GPUS Endorsement of Stop the Divine Strake Coalition Day of Action). The action (and detonation, if the action fails to prevent it) will have taken place before the voting period ends. GPUT, AZGP and GPGA have endorsed as state parties

PROPOSAL – Marc: to endorse this tonight via rapid response provision in GPUS operating rules, and announce to the NC w/ relevant bylaws section.

Holly will post the announcement.

i. received, 5/17/06 – CCC: Draft proposal to create campaign committees
2 weeks discussion, 1 week voting
Floor manager: Sanson
Threshold: 2/3 (per bylaws section concerning FEC committees)

ii. received, 5/20/06 – SC: Proposal for SC elections
2 weeks discussion, 1 week vote
Floor manager: Kramer
Threshold: 2/3

Discussion of revisions.
If doesn’t pass, we will motion to have this year’s SC elections online.

PROPOSAL – Jody – to sponsor 220 as most recently written.
Marc – yes
Jody – yes
Gwen – yes
Budd – yes
Rebecca – yes
Steve – No; states concern of adding extra committee at this late date
Holly – stand aside; same concern as Steve, plus concern about adding policy that is not needed or will make no actual difference in the process

C. Proposal for Presenting Proposals (adopted 10/01)
On 4/10/06 call, the decision was to post a notice to the NC list that this would become Section VI of the GPUS Rules, Policies and Procedures after one week, barring objections. On tonight’s call, the question was raised whether two general objections from the NC constituted a block. This was not answered. Holly proposed to have the NC vote on where to place the material and to remove mention of a bulletin board.
Action TABLED. Marc agreed to draft new proposal to replace current language.

D. Corrections for Proposals #218 and 219 in voting page archives. Holly will contact webmaster and ask for an interim means to note the results of those proposals. FinCom will take up discussion of the need to hire an IT contractor.

a. SC P & P’s – rules, executive session, observers on SC calls
Jody has received little response. Several policies have been offered. TBC

b. Committee reporting and accountability. Marc will work up earlier proposal.

NEXT MEETING: Monday, 6/5/06; 9:00 p.m. EDT

Holly Hart Secretary, GPUS 5/22/06
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green