May 5, 2005

SC Call Notes — 6 May 2005

SC: Jake Schneider, Greg Gerritt, Marc Sanson, Maya O’Connor, Jody Haug, Peggy Lewis, Jo Chamberlain, Steve Kramer
Staff: Emily Citkowski

Facilitator Jody Time Maya Notes Greg

Abbreviations used:
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

Published Agenda
2 hr 5 min so far

5 min – facilitator, timer, note taker (Greg); agenda revisions; approval of minutes
15 min – Campus Greens – 7:15 Eastern – or whenever works for them (Peggy – including invitation)

30 min – staff reports
Brent – PD/CCC/BAWG//FD//etc.
Emily – OD/Interns//office move//etc.
5 min – Voting Queue (Greg): Finance Committee membership; 5 min – Work Groups follow up – SPWG (Brent); NPWG (Greg) 5 min – Listserve inappropriate behavior (Gwen) 10 min – Listserv and committee members (???) 5 min – Public info page suggestion – Nan Garrett, Delegate Privacy Policy – Susan Dridi (Greg) 10 min – FL lawsuit/CAFTA (???) 5 min – China Freedom and Democracy Rally dropped (Brent) 5 min – Commission on Presidential Debates lawsuit (Greg) 5 min – Question about Green Legal Council – Diane Cardin-Kamleiter (Jo)

Portfolio reports:
15 min – FINANCE Portfolio (Jake, Marc): Finance, FundCom
Tier proposals
Online Fundraising Consultant //Fundraising Asst Coordinator (Jake)
Staff training (Brent, Emily)

5 min – ELECTORAL (Jo): CCC, Office Holder Network, PCSC, Legal Team – trademark
5 min – POLICY (Greg, Gwen): Platform, Peace, Intnl, DC, Strategic Plan
5 min – OUTREACH (Peggy): Media, Green Pages, Merchandise, Campus Greens
5 min – INTERNAL (Maya): Personnel – review draft manual, Dispute Resolution;
(Greg): BRPP – nomenclature
5 min – INTERNAL (Jody): Accreditation, ComCom, Event Planning

Welcomed Steve to SC.

Agenda Review: No change

Staff reports
Have 2 interns lined up for the summer, still looking for more.

Green Party Card has brought in $10,000 to date, more than 200 people have signed up. We are doing mailing around cards to states with little Green presence. WV mailing ready to go, OK will be next. OK mailing will include a flyer on Tulsa meeting.

Fundraising committee is looking to further integrate web, mail, and advertising around the cards. We are also about ready to do a new print run, with modifications to the actual card.

Web brought in $4476.95 in April. Card $2200, Merchandise $1000, general donations $200, and on line sustainers $1000.

Office location:
Emily and Brent have started to talk about relocation when the lease runs out in fall. Need to have an in depth discussion with the Treasurer about this. Discussion of moving office will be on May 20 agenda.

GPUS has signed on to the lawsuit asking that the protest against CAFTA be allowed to exercise constitutional rights to protest. We have received word that FL greens and Broward County greens have signed on as well. A resolution on supporting the protests is awaiting further action by IC.

Voting Queue:
Whales, voting about done, passing. Tier 2 budget about to begin voting this coming week. Greenpages P and P¹s one more week of discussion. Resolution on changing CC to NC goes up this week for 2 weeks discussion followed by vote. Marc will floor manage. Fin Comm roster goes up this week for 2 weeks discussion then vote. Jody will floor manage.

Discussed getting all committees to finish Policy and Procedure documents and get them approved by NC. Also discussed that BRPP is working on some rules that if passed would apply to all committees, and decided that we think if they pass all committees could add them to their P and P¹s with modifications for particular committee or if they do not adopt their own, could use what NC passes as is as a default rule.

Working Groups:
SPWG is still preparing its questionnaire and roll out plan. Almost ready for both.

Presidential Nominating Process WG presented its preliminary report to SC this week, will be sent to NC right off. Not likely to meet June 15 deadline for final report.

PCSC met recently and will be conveying to WG that it needs to begin the exploratory phase very soon, so they are hoping the PNPWG discusses this right off.

List serves and committees:
HI wants two people removed from lists or turned into observers who do not post. SC will follow up on this. Also looking into some form of moderation for lists for abusers on line. Greg will draft a proposal for the SC around the idea that if complaints come in a three person team of outsiders will look at the posts and decide if they cross the line. If someone crosses line there will be a series of ever increasing penalties for further transgressions. First would be that all posts by the transgressor would be looked over before being allowed onto the list, with transgressing posts not allowed to reach the list.

Had a discussion about the news circulator and whether it should go to both lists or just the discussion list. SC is divided.

Privacy on lists came up in response to GDI copying delegate list and posting it on their website. GDI has since removed some of the information. GPUS needs further study on how best to provide access and privacy.

Presidential debates lawsuit. Discussed the history of it from 2000 campaign.

Green legal council: Party does not currently have a lead council. Has a volunteer team with no one responsible person. Personnel committee is asked to draft a job description for a probably volunteer position, and we shall go from there.

Portfolio review

Finance Portfolio
Scott McLarty has asked for reimbursement of $322 for cell phone bill for media work. SC approved.

SC asked to approve $200.00 for SPWG to print materials for Tulsa meeting. Approved

We have started receiving resumes for the two positions posted, fundraising assistant and on line coordination. Resumes will be received until May 15 before analysis goes forward.

Electoral Portfolio
CCC is working on strengthening state associates program. Campaign schools have been very good. They have been looking into getting some resources to particular campaigns. PCSC is moving forward with a proposal to turned Ballot Access WG into a standing committee and looking to archive materials from 2004 presidential campaign. Office holders will be meeting in June in WI. SC is considering sending an observer. The meeting is only for office holders but we have been informed an SC observer would be okay.

Policy Portfolio
Peace is working on P and P¹s. IC is working on P and P¹s and response to CAFTA

Outreach Portfolio
Merchandise has been reborn. 6 active and vetted members. Campus Greens is still going through transitions and are working on their thing. In several conversations the SC has offered advice on transforming their structure but they are not really following up on those conversations. SC will continue to provide advice if it is wanted.

Internal portfolio
Personnel committee continues to work on personnel policies and continues to need help finishing the manual. SC will put on May 20 agenda more time to discuss how to help committees be more functional. BRPP is working on removal process. Greg will try to move them on changing USGP and ASGP language in bylaws and rules to GPUS. AC is looking at HI based on complaint filed and has a partially filled out form from PA. MT has not responded to questions in their application to join so that is on hold until they respond. Looking into what to do to get parties going and accredited in the last remaining states such as KY, WV, PR, NH, and Dakotas.

Annual meeting:
Looks like with room rentals so low, but not getting us extras such as meeting rooms, it makes sense to lump registration and lodging into one fee, with the price charged based on how many days the person attends. Right now the range looks like it may be from $125 for 2 days to $325 for 5 days. Budget still needs to be worked out. Extra charge of $5.00 a day for single rooms. Lots of details to be worked out. SC is moving on workshop/committee meetings coordination and plenary agenda. Some SC members will join meeting committee conference call this week.

Adjourned 10 PM EST
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green