November 5, 2008

Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green

GPUS-SC Conference Call

November 5, 2006

8:00 p.m. EDT


Liz Arnone, Holly Hart, Rebecca Rotzler, Jim Coplen, Budd Dickinson, Echo Steiner, Katey Culver, Jody Grage, Emily Citkowski, Brent McMillan

Facilitator: Jody

Timekeeper: Katey

Abbreviations used:

• AC = Accreditation Committee
• ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
• BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
• BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
• BC = Black Caucus
• CC = Coordinating Committee
• CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
• CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
• ComCom = Communications Committee
• DC = Diversity Committee
• DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
• DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
• FC = Fundraising Committee
• FEC = Federal Election Commission
• GP = Green Party
• IC = International Committee
• LC = Lavender Caucus
• NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
• NWC = National Women’s Caucus
• PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
• PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
• SC = Steering Committee
• SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group

[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]



October was a very strong month for online fundraising, setting a record for the year: raised $11, 389.50; also got 106 new donors, another record. There has been a lot of activity in sending out appeals and action alerts; also, the fact that our candidates have been in the news makes a big difference. Website traffic and google hits are up.

Sent out two candidate appeals, one at the beginning of the month featuring Malachy McCourt, one at the end of the month featuring Pat LaMarche. Action Alerts and GreenLine focused around debates, asking CNN to cover the Greens.

Emily and Richard Scott are promoting the idea of putting Green Party banner ads on blogs and Green and progressive websites.

Donor Database Update – we are looking at the possibility of moving our donor database, currently in Access, to an open source database which will be accessible on a secure server online. Emily has had some constructive conversations with someone interested in doing this and has asked him to draw up a proposal. This individual understands that if this is something the party decides to pursue, it will be opened up for bids to others, as well. Emily believes this will be very helpful in the immediate future, in terms of eliminating duplications in data entry, and for the possibility of making this tool available to others: state parties, fundraising assistants. We would need to be careful with security issues; guidelines on how to arrange making this available to state parties.



Scott McLarty is working on an election day press release on races-to-look-out-for. This should go out tomorrow about Noon.

There will be approx. 330 Green candidates running on election day. The number will vary off and on (we will find out if some candidates didn’t make the ballot, and will learn of candidates we didn’t know about). Brent is working on the elections database. He will be in the office around the clock on election day. Brent predicts Green candidates will get the most votes ever for the higher offices.


A couple new things in monthly report: how many sustainers from direct mail (produces more new sustainers than anything else we do.

Announcements went out for east coast and midwest fundraising assistants. Have gotten a few responses. Brent hopes to get two more assistants hired by the first of December.


We have paid off all bills through the end of October, staff are paid. There is not much money in the account, but we are current with bills, November is looking good, so far. Some states will be, or are thinking of, returning state sharing.

The final budget will be ready by the next call for SC approval to go on the voting queue.

Jody asked for feedback on informational papers for the NC.

Executive session, 8:46 – 8:48 p.m.

Matter regarding employee contract.


Current proposals (FinCom-Outreach, AC) – discussion has been extended ’til 11/12, due to elections. Budd asked if the AC is going to amend their proposal. Jody will follow up with the AC co-chairs.

Echo recommended adding the word “elected officials,” along with candidates, in case we’re discussing, for instance, officials who may be thinking of switching parties. AGREED.

To go to this week’s voting queue:

Certification of SC election – Holly will re-send the proposal for SC review, then to the voting queue. Floor manager: Budd//50%.

Added language on Executive Session to SC P&P’s. Jody will write up where it goes in the P&P’s and get it out tomorrow. Floor manager: Jim// 50%.


Budd would like to know what committees haven’t been reported on. Holly and Budd will collect a list of committees that *have* been reported on and send to SC.

Echo suggested a template with a list of names and committees to be included in SC call agendas. Holly will add this to the next agenda.

International Committee – Budd is still not on their list. Emily will send him the list admin’s email address.


Political Committees (CCC, PCSC, BAC) will be having a conference call w/in the next couple weeks to talk about coordination and to define priorities.

Budd expressed concern about the legal portfolio, that we need to have a legal advisor on retainer. He will contact former legal advisors David Cobb and Tom Linzey to find out what the arrangement was.

Campus Greens – Echo has a conference call w/ CG next Sunday night, and will have a full report for the next SC call.

5) Annual meeting timing

Jody – GPWA will be writing a letter of intent regarding the 2007 annual, meeting. This led to a discussion on the timing of the 2008 nominating convention. A concern is that the end of July is late for a meeting or convention. Is there consideration of moving the annual meeting earlier, perhaps early June? Brent and LIz will work on getting information for 2008 on states where the GP is an official party and has an official primary.

NEXT CALL: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 8:00 p.m. EST

Holly Hart

Secretary, GPUS


To return to the Minutes Directory.