September 18, 2003

SC Minutes — September 18, 2003

Jake Schneider, Marnie Glickman, Ben Manski, Jo Chamberlin, Alan Kobrin, Anita Rios, Greg Gerritt, Dean Myerson, Jack Uhrich

Call Functions:
Facilitator Jake Schneider
Time Keeper Ben Manski
Note taker Greg Gerritt

Abbreviations used:
AC = Accreditation Committee
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
GW = George Washington University
IC = International Committee
ICA = Institute for Cultural Affairs
LC = Lavender Caucus
LG = Lavender Greens
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
SC = Steering Committee
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

Published Agenda
Intros, Minutes, Meeting Process, etc. (7 minutes)



Fundraising 10 minutes (including celebrity outreach) (is this enough time)
Finance 15 minutes (including cash flow, sustainers)
Other committee reports, none were requested, add during agenda review 5 minutes each
CCC staffing Time???
Software Licensing (Media page, elections page, voting page) 10 minutes
Supervision of new OD and Retreat 10 minutes
Convention 5 minutes

The voting queue 5 minutes
War Profiteers


State Parties and committee members 5 minutes
Matt Ahearn 5 minutes

End call with Executive Session: Work on hiring of OD and other issues

Check in, Agenda Review

Need to continue to follow up on celebrity fundraising, working with all the big names/wealthy folks we can. several possibilities need follow up.

As cash flow tightens and expenditures exceed income, the need for prioritization of expenditures grows more urgent. We need to work with every committee to prioritize and develop a system for what to do. Jake is working on a better tracking system, but the cost of it could exceed reason. Treasurer’s report does have good information every week. What we need to do is develop a proposal and bring it to the CC getting their buy-in to the process. We shall use the current discussion period on the revised budget to do some of this.

At some point we need to stop going into reserves for current bills. When?

CCC has started to develop a job description for their hiring of an organizer.

Discussed issues around licensing software for Media page, Elections page, and voting pages of the website. Some issues remain to be researched and discussed including costs, reliability.

SC retreat
SC feels that cost is prohibitive under current budgetary restraints. Agreed that after new Operations director is hired that 2 SC members should go to DC to meet with new OD and help that person get oriented and started. Ben and Jo are going to take that meeting.

Need to finalize hotel and other venues. Ben is assembling committee and will both send out a note asking for volunteers and convene a conference call for Tuesday Sept 23.

Ben will make a report on venue to Convention committee and SC and then SC will decide.

Problems with Voting page
Complaints about getting in are fixable. Others just prefer to send votes to floor managers. Biggest issues is that when a resolution’s voting time is done it disappears and no one can access the final results.

Minutes from July are being voted on now. Some in CA do not like the way the exchange between Dean M and Kevin M is recorded in the Sunday notes. Discussed several aspects of the whole minutes process, to no resolution.


Discussed the issue of State Parties asking the committee members from their state no longer represent them and how that effects committees in which those individuals are taking on real work and actual tasks for the party. We are now more aware of these issues and how they relate to the new bylaws on committees that were passed in July.

Discussed providing assistance to the Matt Ahearn campaign in NJ. Dean will follow up with campaign to see if his assistance could be used for a few days. Dean could probably go to NJ for a very low cost, and if so, SC agreed that he should.

Jo announced that 4 people have been placed on the presidential primary ballot in CA. Kent Mesplay, Lorna Salzman, David Cobb, Ralph Nader

SC went to Executive Session at 10:23 to discuss hiring of a new Operations Director
Call ended at 11:23.
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green