September 5, 2005

Monday, September 05, 2005
8:00 p.m. EDT

Gwen, Jake, Holly, Rebecca, Marc, Pat, Jody

Facilitator: Marc
Time: Rebecca
Notes: Holly
Abbreviations used:
AC = Accreditation Committee
ANM, ANMC = Annual National Meeting Committee
BAWG = Ballot Access Working Group
BRPP = Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
BC = Black Caucus
CC = Coordinating Committee
CCC = Coordinated Campaign Committee
CG SC = Campus Greens Steering Committee
ComCom = Communications Committee
DC = Diversity Committee
DIA = Democracy in Action internet service
DRC = Dispute Resolution Committee
FC = Fundraising Committee
FEC = Federal Election Commission
GP = Green Party
IC = International Committee
LC = Lavender Caucus
NPWG = Nominating Process Working Group
NWC = National Women’s Caucus
PEC = Presidential Exploratory Committee
PCSC = Presidential Campaign Support Committee
SC = Steering Committee
SPWG = Strategic Plan Working Group
[Brackets denote editor’s suggested corrections. Some punctuation corrections done with no content change. -ed.]

Monday, September 05, 2005
8:00 p.m. EDT

Gwen, Jake, Holly, Rebecca, Marc, Pat, Jody

Facilitator: Marc
Time: Rebecca
Notes: Holly
Jake and Emily are contacting lawyer in case the lease for the DC office is not renewed.

Progress is being made with staff contracts.

SC will put out the call for CCC candidates to fill their 5-seat vacancy. Candidates must submit bios by October 1; SC will make the selection on the next call following that date.

Donor BIll of Rights to be proposed to the National Committee.


1) -Treasurer (Jake) – sent out report this weekend Question on Tulsa bill, possibly $10,000 loss ; usually close to breaking even. Jake: Request permission to transfer $10,000 from Sovereign Bank account to Sun Trust account because bills needs to be paid. **AGREED CONSENSUS Jake will make the transfer

State donation to GP-CT — left by person in CT to GPCT; however, state of CT laws are such that CTGP cannot accept it, so they sent to GPUS; GPUS sent funds to CT (which is legal).

$700 bill from Rachel Jackson, Tulsa – cell phone use, ca. 1400 extra minutes at 30- cents/minute.

Last year, it was about $600

**AGREED CONSENSUS Jake will pay the bill. AnmCom will be made aware of the high phone bill and advised to include this in next year’s budget

2) Lease Options – (Jake)

Matt Abel – (MI) – sent message on potential office space; unfortunately, it is not suitable Concern that landlord may be planning to seek a new tenant. Jake and Emily will find DC attorney who will work pro bono to respond to whatever we get in the mail on this. Jake will make calls to landlord. We should be looking for other commercial space in DC as well, will look for a realtor to work with.

3) Staff contract progress – Marc

Marc has received contract as Political Director and is working on Brent’s contract; working on contract and list of duties for all 3 full time positions. Marc will apprise CCC of progress; most were aware it would not be able to be completed by now, will be a longer process.

4) Marc, reporting for Brent – CCC report
Selection of 5 remaining seats. CCC has asked not to just take people as they come in, they want as many candidates as possible from which SC is to make a selection.

Lavender Caucus asks that David Silva be “re-seated” on CCC. SC or CCC never received an application from him this year. Holly will let them know. Anyone wanting to be a candidate needs to re-submit bio. We have something from Steps to Freedom (Sean Bagley), IN.

Announcement calling for candidates needs to go out again to all states and caucuses; adjust dates and ask for bios by October 1. Will make decision at next SC meeting following.

A. In Voting Period:
1) #166 – SC: Approval of MInutes from NA annual meeting/Kramer 1/2
2) # 167 – WI: Anti-War activities proposal/Schneider 1/2
3) # 168 – WI: proportional representation for national nominating
convention delegations/Schneider 2/3
4) #170 – MI: Call for a Special Election to Fill Fourth Seat on
Steering Committee — Amended/Haug 2/3
5) #173 – PA: Steering Committee Election Proposal #1 from PA/Wages
(Schneider?) 2/3
6) #174 – PA: Steering Committee Election Proposal #2 from PA/Wages
(Schneider?) 2/3

Discussion: proposals 153,4,5 in archives contain the original wording, but
are not what was voted on in Tulsa. Need revised wording actually voted on.
Charlie Green, manager of voting page, asks for permission to make the

Do we need affirmation from proposers, before we do that? Is there a need for
the change, since the proposals did not pass?
AGREED that it’s important to have the language that was actually voted on.
Will get wording from Greg Gerritt.

Current proposals have some errors. No change recommended
Secretary will inform NC of typographical errors in backgrounds of #173-4
(Drop = Droop; actualy = actually).

B. In Discussion Period:
1) #169 – MI: Endorsement of the Rebuilding Allaince “Rebuilding – We Will
Note Be Enemies”/Sanson 1/2
2) #171 – AZ: Affirmative Action Gender Balance proposal for Expanding the
NC/Rotzler 2/3
3) #172 – AZ: Consensus Process Proposal for NC — Amended/Sanson 2/3
C. Returned/waiting for clarification:
1) received, 8/19/05 – BC: proposal to approve Asa Gordon as a
representative of the GPUS position in enlisting congressional sponsorship of
2) received, 8/10/05 – MI: statement of independent purpose//SENT BACK
D. For the Voting Queue:
1) received, 8/23/05 – DCSG: proposal to approve Asa Gordon as a
representative of the GPUS position in enlisting congressional sponsorship of
a “Right to Vote Act”
expedite: 1 week discussion, 1 week vote
Floor Manager: Gwen Wages
Threshold: 50%

2) received, 8/29/05 – INDIANA GP; for Steps to Freedom (Sean Bagley) to
be elected to the Coordinated Campaign Committee
Defer pending results of announcement on CCC; Secretary will let IND know the
3) received, 9/3/05 – TX/NC: Request for Resolution of Endorsement of the
Millions More March
pulled about a month ago; they’re putting it back up
expedite: 2 weeks discussion, 1 week vote
Floor Manager: Jody Haug
4) received, 9/5/05 – FunCom – GPUS Fundraising Committee Rules, Policies
and Procedures Final Approved Draft (Parts 1 and 2 of 2)
3 weeks discussion, 1 week vote
Floor Manager: Jody Haug
Question of what threshold to use. AGREED that 50% was the requirement. Marc
stated concern that the threshold might be considered 2/3; agreed to stand
5) See below, Donor Bill of Rights
2 week discussion, 1 week vote
Floor Manager: Jody Haug

III. 10 – 15 minutes – WEB UPDATE/ISSUES – (Holly) – brief news of current
web work; some
a. – question on copyright issues w/ news circulator; discussions with
web team and Media Committee, legal advice.
Potential invitation for a lawsuit; potential loss of server.
If MC wants to invite lawsuit, needs to be by permission of NC.
Currently, a member of the MC is trying to find if Lexis will grant permission
for continuing to use their articles.

b. – question of agencies on Katrina Relief page
Some concern about some of the agencies listed on website. Noted that
religious orgs are first responders; if we verify they’re legit, use them.
AGREED – consult caucuses and members who have raised questions; if there are
objections still to religious website that are helping we will add a link to
the GP Mississippi website and put the list there, as it’s not so unusual in
the South to work with both secular and religious organizations Put up
everyone we know to be legitimate. NE MS still has resources.

c. – proposals format – version on website is not the version passed in
2001. Secretary will make any necessary corrections consulting with web and
voting page team.
Gwen wrote to members of the BC involved in a dispute, asking if they would
consider a dispute resolution with professional mediator. Haven’t talked to
leaders since hurricane.

VI. MISC. BUSINESS -15-20 min
A. 3-5 min – Holly – process for SC sign-off on conference call minutes to go
to nat’l list
Will send out notes for any needed corrections; SC has until Sunday night to
approve the minutes and 8-10 line summary, need quorum of 5 to approve. Holly
will send to nat’l list Monday morning.
B. Gwen suggests need for more frequent calls, if needed

C. 10 min Holly/Pat – listserv issues and requests. Will review EEOC
procedure so there is something SC can immediately use; over listserv we will
in timely fashion respond and put proposal together; if proposal cannot come
from SC, will can find states willing to help. Immediate action getting out
within next two weeks,.

FINANCE (Jake, Marc): FinCom, FunCom
Finance Committee working on 2006 budget.
FunCom finished up Rules and Procedures to go out for NC approval
Fundraising – summer lull in donations. Brent working on some large donor
FunCom – working on who does what on Fundraising. Need 2 new co-chairs.
Donor Bill of Rights: Brent had posted revised version of DBR to SC list,
looking for SC approval to go forward as a proposal. AGREED – Brent should
send again to SC list to review and to send to Charlie to go into voting

ELECTORAL (Steve): CCC, Office Holders Network, PCSC, Legal Team – x
POLICY (Gwen): Platform, Peace, Intnl, DC – x
OUTREACH (?): Media, Green Pages, Merchandise, Campus Greens – x
INTERNAL (Jody): Personnel, Dispute Resolution, BRPP, Accreditation, CommCom,
Event Planning
Jody – AC: heard from Montana, nearly ready for accreditation; BRPP has
elected officers; CommCom gathering itself up.
Marc – Do we have a process if two parties form the same state apply for
affiliation? Bylaws spell out there cannot be two affiliated parties from
the same state.

Personnel – Marc is reviewing contracts? Jody will stay will Personnel
committee, will call Maya O’Connor an, will discuss with Marc concerning
IX. Tulsa reports from committees/events (Holly) – no news

X. 20 min – PORTFOLIO REORGANIZATION – see portfolio reorganization plan
forwarded by Jody, and notes form Jody, Steve and Marc
– IT-Committee (IT, Communications Committee, Web Content Team)

Don’t want to spend time on this without full SC.
AGREED – if none of the SC election proposals gets 2/3, we pick up where we
left off: decleare vacancy and new election.
XI. IC listserv protocol to NC? IC claims authority to approve their own
listserv protocol. Does this fall under NC or does “service” fall under
committees? All committee rules must be approved by NC.

DRC – may extendi mediation so parties do not have the option of saying No.
MS may have proposal coming out concerning this.
Minimally edited and HTML formatted by Charlie Green