Diversity Committee Bylaws
Bylaws of the Diversity Committee of the Green Party of the United States
The name of this committee is the Diversity Committee of the Green Party of the United States.
Whereas in an increasingly diverse United States a strong commitment to diversity is an important political statement, the mission of the Diversity Committee of the United States Green Party is to develop programs to address and redress issues of diversity. In this regard, we resolves to work toward a Green Party that reflects the cultural, ethnic, sexual, geographic, educational level, and economic diversity of the United States. We will seek to create a Green Party that is viewed as a political home for all people. A party where all are welcomed, respected and encouraged to join us at our table.
3. a: Each affiliated state and caucus may appoint up to three voting members to this committee.
3. b: States and caucuses in formation may appoint up to three non-voting members.
3. c: Any member of an affiliated state Green Party may volunteer to serve as a non-voting member.
3. d: Any non-voting member may be elected to any office of the committee and earn the right to vote.
4. OFFICERS AND COMMITTEES
4. a: The Officers of this Committee shall be three co-chairs, a secretary and a treasurer.
4. b: The Committee’s leadership will consist of one co-chair appointed by the CC and two co-chairs elected by the Diversity Committee membership with the understanding that there shall always be one male, one female and one African American co-chair.
4. c: The Co-chairs shall be responsible for representing the interests, ideas and needs of the Committee on the Coordinating Committee of the Green Party of the United States. In representing the Committee the Co-chairs shall be guided by the priorities of the committee members.
4. d: Guiding Priorities shall be collected, posted and ranked in order of importance by the membership at least once a year.
4. e: Any Green Party member may be elected or selected as a co-chair.
4. f: Committee co-chairs shall each serve staggered two-year terms.
4. g: The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping the minutes of meetings, publishing same in a timely fashion and maintain any necessary communication with the membership. Depending on financial circumstances a stipend may be awarded to the Secretary.
4. h: The Treasurer is responsible for the fiscal management of the committee and will provide a monthly financial statement to the members.
4. i: The Committee may appoint such other Officers as is needed and define their duties and term of office.
4. j: The Committee may also establish such committees, working groups and other entities as are necessary to do its work. Upon establishment of these committees, working groups, and entities, the Committee shall define their membership, purpose and length of service.
4. k: Officers may be removed for cause by a two-thirds vote of the other officers or a majority vote of the membership. An officer removed by the other officers may appeal to the membership and a majority vote will repeal the removal.
4. l: Upon a vacancy in any office the Committee may elect an officer to serve the remainder of the term.
5. a: The election of officers shall be done through Instant Runoff Voting . The option of voting “None Of The Above” shall be available in all elections.
5. b: Voting may be conducted by e-mail or online voting. A ballot will be sent to all members at least twenty days prior to the election. Members who choose to vote by mail will receive a mail-in ballot. Votes received after midnight of the Election Day shall not be counted.
5. c: The Committee shall strive for consensus in decision-making. If consensus is not possible, a simple majority shall pass general decisions and Operating Rules. Bylaws and policy statements must pass by a two-thirds majority.
5. d: Proxy voting is forbidden. We must abide by the “one-man, one-vote” democratic principle in all our deliberations.
6. a: General Membership Meetings of the Committee shall be held at least once a year.
6. b: Meetings of the Committee shall be held at least once a month by telephone conference call. Any he general membership may participate but only Officers may vote.
6. c: Committee Meetings shall be held at the convenience of the members of the committee.
7. a: A quorum of the General Membership Meeting shall exist when at least fifteen percent of the voting membership, representing five of the states who have membership on the Committee are present.
7. b: A quorum of an Officers Meeting shall exist when a majority of the officers are present.
8. AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
8. a: Amendments to these Bylaws may be proposed by the Officers of the Committee or by petition of five members of the Committee.
8. b: Amendments to these Bylaws must be approved by a two-thirds majority of the members.
- Accreditation Committee
- Animal Rights Committee
- Annual National Meeting Committee
- Apportionment Tabulation Committee
- Ballot Access Committee
- Bylaws, Rules, Policies and Procedures Committee
- Coordinated Campaign Committee
- Credentials Committee
- Dispute Resolution Committee
- Diversity Committee
- Eco Action Committee
- Finance Committee
- Fundraising Committee
- Green Pages Editorial Board
- International Committee
- Media Committee
- Merchandise Committee
- Outreach Committee
- Peace Action Committee
- Platform Committee
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee
- Candidate Questionnaires for the 2016 GPUS Presidential Nomination
- Candidates seeking the 2016 Green Party presidential nomination
- How to Seek the Green Party’s presidential nomination (2016)
- Outreach and Exploratory Candidate questionnaire for the 2016 GPUS presidential nomination – Presidential Campaign Support Committee
- Presidential Campaign Calendar 2015-2016
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Members
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Mission Statement
- Presidential Campaign Support Committee – Reference Documents
- Presidential Support Campaign Committee – Rules, Policies and Procedures
- Recognized Candidates Seeking the GPUS 2016 Presidential Nomination
- What the GPUS has to offer to a prospective Green presidential candidate (2016)
- Steering Committee
- Steering Committee – Committee Assignments (2016 – 2017)
- Steering Committee – Minutes
- Steering Committee – Past Elections and Members
- Steering Committee – Sub-Committees
- Steering Committee – Databases and Web Access Polices
- Steering Committee – GPUS Personnel Manual
- Steering Committee – Internal Procedures
- Steering Committee – Rules, Policies & Procedures